Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - PAL to NTSC Hacks

Reply to topic
PAL to NTSC Hacks
Post Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:04 pm
Hi, i have an interesting inquiry about PAL Only games, I'm from the united states and my grandfather was big into games (more than my parents were as kids) so when he got a master system it was mainly HIS system, and one night a year or two ago we played together on it, double dragon was great fun, but it got me into the 8-bit SEGA line and i really wanted to get more games to play at his house, i was going to get Desert Strike because i liked the Genesis version but its apparently PAL Only so it wouldn't work properly on our machine, turns out there are several games out there. And often on ebay they will say they are NTSC compatible when they are not so has anybody ever tried porting over PAL games to work on NTSC machines? Or is there a better solution to play some of these games on an NTSC machine? Even if there isn't one i just wanna hear about the whole tech processes behind this question.

Thank You and remember, the challenge will always be there!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:33 am
It’s not easy to solve, the 50Hz machines effectively have more capacity per frame so if you did avoid the corruption, the game might slow to 30Hz. Even if you did have them working at 60Hz, they’d also be 20% faster than intended. So your best bet is to try to figure out how to play at 50Hz - there are speed mods available but your TV may not support it.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:33 pm
Maxim wrote
It’s not easy to solve, the 50Hz machines effectively have more capacity per frame so if you did avoid the corruption, the game might slow to 30Hz. Even if you did have them working at 60Hz, they’d also be 20% faster than intended. So your best bet is to try to figure out how to play at 50Hz - there are speed mods available but your TV may not support it.

oh yeah, and thats kinda the worst part, i wouldn't want to modify my grandfathers master system to do that, but thank you for a technical answer that was absolutely fascinating to read.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!