Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Zillion hacks

Reply to topic
Zillion hacks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:09 am
I've always thought it would be cool if someone made a version of Zillion where it was hacked to use the character sprites from Zillion II: Triformation. Obviously, Zillion is the superior game, while Zillion II has much superior graphics, where the characters actually resemble themselves from the anime, so it'd be a best of both worlds scenario.

As far as I can tell, the character sprites are roughly the same size, so I figure swapping them shouldn't be too rough. I know the sprite palette might need to be adjusted, but that sounds doable, based on posts I've read. I realize only J.J. has a full set of character sprites in the second game, but I figure J.J.'s sprites could double for Champ's with just a bit of recoloration and a redrawn haircut. That just leaves Apple, who'd be a bit more work, but ironically, her character sprites from the first game are the only ones that decently resemble the way she's supposed to look, whereas J.J. and Champ look like red and green blobs, respectively.

I've downloaded a bunch of the apps from the development page and started poking around to see if there's maybe something I can do, but when I've looked through the tiles I've had a heck of a time locating anything that even vaguely resembles a head, hand, or leg. I should point out that I have absolutely no experience in programming, coding, or hacking, but I've read through a bunch of the posts here and I'd be interested in learning if anyone can point me in the right direction.

If there's anyone that's knowledgeable about this sort of thing, is this a project worth pursuing, or should I just give up?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:51 pm
In 2014 I've started work on an editor for Zillion but it has been discontinued shortly after. It's not very feature rich but if I remember correctly, you should be able to edit the sprite tiles you want to edit. If you want to give it a try, you can download it from https://emulicious.net/download/zillioned/
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:08 pm
Calindro wrote
In 2014 I've started work on an editor for Zillion but it has been discontinued shortly after. It's not very feature rich but if I remember correctly, you should be able to edit the sprite tiles you want to edit. If you want to give it a try, you can download it from https://emulicious.net/download/zillioned/

Sweet deal! I'd be happy to poke around and try, though my knowledge is severely lacking. The only thing is, when I tried to download it, it showed up as a .jar file, which I'm not familiar with. I'm assuming this is something where I have to download Emulicious to use it? And I have to download Java to use Emulicious?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:12 pm
Oh, sorry. Yes, you need Java. You don't need Emulicious.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:45 pm
Calindro wrote
Oh, sorry. Yes, you need Java. You don't need Emulicious.

Hey, this is pretty sweet! I was already able to find the J.J. sprites! It'll take me a while to figure out what is what, but I think I can work with this. Thanks again!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!