SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic sms hack: help needed

Reply to topic
Sonic sms hack: help needed
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:10 am
Hi there.

After working on a few Alex Kidd hacks using KiddED, I'd now like to create a game based on another engine, namely Sonic the Hedgehog, using the Sonic Sms editor.

I've created a new character and developped a few graphic assets.

Now what bothers me is that it feels a bit too much like a Sonic game with different graphics.

So I'm looking for someone who'd be willing to look into the code (which I absolutely cannot do) so as to patch the game and bring a few modifications to the physics of the characters. For example:

- make Sonic jump a little lower.
- Minor modifications in the bosses patterns.

If anybody feels up to the task, feel free to contact me in private message for more detail.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:54 am
I usually look at Kroc’s disassembly at https://github.com/Kroc/Sonic1-Z80-ASM to answer this sort of question. I guess it will involve values written to RAM_SONIC.Yspeed but the variable jump height means it’s not trivial. I haven’t spent time looking for it yet.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:25 am
Maxim wrote
I usually look at Kroc’s disassembly at https://github.com/Kroc/Sonic1-Z80-ASM to answer this sort of question. I guess it will involve values written to RAM_SONIC.Yspeed but the variable jump height means it’s not trivial. I haven’t spent time looking for it yet.

I've taken a look at it, but I really don't know anything about all that. I think I'll go on considering all this is pure magic and nothing else. You are wizards, I'm just a simple mortal who can paint pixels in a fancy way.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!