Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Old Meka version that allowed pause everything but sound

Reply to topic
Old Meka version that allowed pause everything but sound
Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:52 pm
I was going to rip Arcade Smash Hits music and sound, and I remembered an old Meka version that allowed me, back in the day (2018), to pause with F12 or a similar key everything in a game except the music. Thus I was able to rip the extra seconds of music of the Sega World Tournament Golf title screen, that otherwise would be faded and not played at all.

That extra music was a surprise to me, since I owned the physical game for years and never heard it before. I couldn't find the Meka version that I used for it then: for ripping Arcade Smash Hits, it is important to pause everything but the music, since you can't avoid the SFX effects on that game: there is no background music playing when you pause the game, and the play starts quickly.

Or is it a way to rip the music without SFX via debugger with the current version of the emulator?

Thanks in advance!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:54 pm
You may be confusing the hard pause feature with the meka.pat entry (disabled by default) that hangs the game when you press the regular pause button, known as the “pause button hack”. Find that file and uncomment it to enable it.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:42 am
Thank you, that worked! Didn't remember about that patch.

I'm going to try to rip a few more games with this hack, I hope I get the loop correctly!
Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:11 am
Ron_Stard wrote
I hope I get the loop correctly!
With ValleyBell's vgmlpfnd it's almost impossible to screw up a loop, unless the vgm does something problematic.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!