Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Arcade Voices patches

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:24 pm
I know what's PCM and PWM. What I meant is that I suspect this code really does a 1-bit PCM, no PWM or PDM of any sort. And it's not exactly the same thing.

I suspect here the source data is basically just getting the sign bit from the original wave file. 0 when the wave is positive, 1 when negative - or the other way around it doesn't really matter.

Honestly I'm not sure how can I prove this. Probably I could amplify the arcade .wav file until each single sample is either +MAX or -MAX and see if is sounds like what we get from the game...

I'll try.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:37 pm
That’s exactly what I did to approximate the 1-bit data when experimenting with it myself; it’s less correct than a “dithered” or “error diffusion” conversion to 1 bit, but for a few examples where I felt I had matching data, it sounded very similar to me.

For Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, I couldn’t find a software tool that would give me the PCM data, so I approximated it by recording the output of MAME and then guessed at the approximate sample rate. I guess Sega might have used some PCM data as the input but I’m not sure how they would have done sample rate conversion.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!