Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Christmas Lights - Game Gear controlled light display

Reply to topic
Christmas Lights - Game Gear controlled light display
Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:20 pm
This won't be anything new, but I never posted my project from Christmas 2021 of a Game Gear controlled light display using the extension port.

The attached ROM features two original tunes from Famicuber and Polaria Poyon. There is a simulated fireplace based on the classic Fire effect from early DOS demos, many thanks to Maxim for helping me to refine the effect and make it more efficient.

Press Start to begin/pause song playback, Button 1 to advance to the next song.

This was originally intended to be a much larger project, sort of like a virtual Christmas album with a dozen or so songs but time and budget were limited and I put it together in about two weeks and finished filming and editing and debugging everything about an hour before midnight on Christmas morning.

A demo of it in action can be found here:

If you want a more interactive experience I wrote a plugin for Emulicious that gives a virtual light display when you run the ROM from commandline.

You need to unzip G2GLights.zip into your Emulicious directory and edit Emulicious.ini to include the line:

GearToGearProcess=java -jar g2glights.jar

Then run Emulicious from commandline with:

java -jar Emuliclous.jar ChristmasLights.gg

ChristmasLights.zip (30.01 KB)
Christmas Lights GG ROM
A_Very_Sega_Master_System_Christmas.zip (7.58 KB)
Original tune by Polaria Poyon
CarolSpirits.zip (10.89 KB)
Original tune by Famicuber
G2GLights.zip (1.68 MB)
Emulicious plugin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:16 pm
I've seen the light show earlier. It was very entertaining!
I was curious about the new fireplace animation, but i did not see it in your video. So i started the rom, and i have been watching it for hours now ;).
It looks very cool. I like how you used the sprites, not for the fire, but for the logs on top.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:18 am
slogra wrote
I've seen the light show earlier. It was very entertaining!
I was curious about the new fireplace animation, but i did not see it in your video. So i started the rom, and i have been watching it for hours now ;).
It looks very cool. I like how you used the sprites, not for the fire, but for the logs on top.

I didn't finish the fire effect before the deadline so it wasn't featured in the video. The sprite limit meant I couldn't use them for the fire, so some clever dithering is used to make it seem less blocky (an idea borrowed from a NES fire effect demo), sprites are used on top to hide the spawn point for the flames.

I got the general info on the fire algorithm from here:

https://lodev.org/cgtutor/fire.html
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!