Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Leisureoft December 1990 catalogue (UK)

Reply to topic
Leisureoft December 1990 catalogue (UK)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:12 pm
So one of the big advantages that SMS had over NES in the UK during the 80s and early 90s were that their distributor (Virgin) targeted what we would now call "core gamers" via independent computer stores, whilst Ni****do's distributor targeted toy stores and wouldn't even deal with the distributors such as Leisuresoft which dealt with independent computer stores. I recently got Leisuresoft's December 1990 (which going by release dates seems to have been published mid-November) price list meant for independent retailers. It carries a couple of trade Sega ads including merchandise. This is just after the UK Mega Drive release, so obviously includes that too, but I think is mainly SMS merchandise.
CCI_000301ss.jpg (2.34 MB)
CCI_000301ss.jpg
CCI_000299ss.jpg (2.21 MB)
CCI_000299ss.jpg
G3FG5Zydss.jpg (2.26 MB)
G3FG5Zydss.jpg
CCI_000300ss.jpg (2.06 MB)
CCI_000300ss.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:36 pm
BKK wrote
Ni****do's distributor targeted toy stores and wouldn't even deal with the distributors such as Leisuresoft which dealt with independent computer stores.

Yep, having Mattel as their distributor seemed to not work out well for them, creating a bit of a legal mess it would seem like.

Then again, I don't think too many people, except for a local newspaper a few years ago looking for something to write, would want to bring up Sega's relation with Tonka Toys in the US. It seems like Tonka was pretty focused on their core toy (construction-themed) lines for marketing than to give Sega much press, were they? Right as the NES was hitting its US market peak. I had barely familiarity with gaming at that small age, and yet I was very aware of the NES but hadn't even heard of Sega yet, to give an impression of that US marketing difference. (wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis was still "the original Sega" to some people here)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!