Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Master System Palette

Reply to topic
Sega Master System Palette
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:05 pm
Hey, was looking into the docs on Sega Master System Palette and could not for the life of me find an actual .aco file with all the colors saved in it. So I created one based on the How To Program palette page's information.
It should work anywhere .aco files can load in. Hope this helps someone working on graphics!

Edit: Is there a way for me to link the file or upload it? It doesn't allow me to upload links or files. Just let me know if it's useful and I will send along.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:29 pm
I don't even know what an .aco file is (I can probably look it up, but I'm not interested enough to do that), though there are pictures of the Master System and Game Gear palettes on Sega Retro: https://segaretro.org/Palette. They are accurate because I specifically created them.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:57 pm
Well, guess it may just be useful for me, then. I have a few pieces of software where you can import a set of color values to use when making art as a .aco file. Thanks for your work on the reference docs.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:08 pm
You can attach it if you put it in a zip file.

There’s apparently no standard palette format. I use JASC .pal files when working on specific art, because that’s the format for the program I use. The most compatible format to share is simply a PNG with the palette and pixels set to show the palette.

Tom, maybe you should add a second palette showing the unequal blue level 1 seen on some systems? (I forget the specifics of which systems have it and what the value is…)
Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:47 pm
Okay, attaching it here. I also included the .pal file.
Sega Master System Palette.zip (2.09 KB)
Sega Master System Palette Zip

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!