SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SC-3000H Video connector not quite as documented

Reply to topic
SC-3000H Video connector not quite as documented
Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am
Hi,

I came across this when making up a composite video cable for my SC-3000H and it didn't just work. Taking a look at the board, the video connector on my SC-3000H appears to be hooked up a little differently than the SC-3000 board images I've seen online.

In the SC-3000 service manual, photos of other people's boards, documentation I can find online, the following pinout is given for the 5-pin video connector:

Pin 1 - Audio-out
Pin 2 - GND
Pin 3 - Composite-out
Pin 4 - GND
Pin 5 - GND

However, on my SC-3000, Pin 4 and Pin 5 are not connected to ground. Instead they are left unconnected.

Following the traces on the back of the board, I see that the signals for Pin 4 and Pin 5 each go to a pair of unpopulated pads. By the looks of it, maybe an optional component would go in-between Pin-4 and Pin-5?

I was wondering - Does anybody know what these pins could have been intended for?

Given that the pads are unpopulated, whatever it was seems to have been abandoned. Maybe there were plans for a better video signal, or some kind of presence-detect signals so a monitor can tell if it's been plugged into the computer?

I've attached some photos of the board, including a close up of the bottom of the board in the area around the video connector.
board_top_1.jpg (1.8 MB)
Board top
board_top_1.jpg
board_top_revision.jpg (1.3 MB)
Board revision info
board_top_revision.jpg
board_bottom_1.jpg (1.6 MB)
Board bottom
board_bottom_1.jpg
board_bottom_video_connector.jpg (1.08 MB)
Board bottom video connector
board_bottom_video_connector.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:07 pm
I never seen this either. This is very cool. Maybe they planned to put wires from the daughter board to there?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!