Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Castlevania Homebrew

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:49 am
lucascabral.ym2612 wrote
For some reason I was able to watch till video 011. Plus, able to acess the folder 'download'. That's normal?

Hmm, odd. I'm able to play the vid. Maybe the server was being finicky. I know I have been having FTP issues of late.

My projects folder is wide open, for the most part, this is fine. There were requests for a demo of this game when I first posted the vid on youtube. Some said that the frame rate wasn't possible, and or the music had more channels playing than was possible. Gotta love it.

And I guess an update? The project is in flux, testing "static body" collisions with base entities. I'm experimenting with just straight up rect data vs traditional metatile data. As the data seems like it would be less to condition on per frame? I converted all stages to SMS color format, so I can see what the maximum count of these might be per stage.
Seems like a rather small amount.

EDIT: Moar pics
castlevania_0005.png (3.92 KB)
Simon WIP
castlevania_0005.png
djhdjdjdjjd.png (67.62 KB)
Simple entity UI
djhdjdjdjjd.png
jejydjdjdhhd.png (64.86 KB)
Old pic, I think I had one of the points wrong in the UI. Plus the type is a custom numeric now.
jejydjdjdhhd.png
castlevania_0004.png (71.08 KB)
Current state of the project. All stages converted and imported
castlevania_0004.png

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:44 am
lucascabral.ym2612 wrote
Plus, able to acess the folder 'download'. That's normal?

Directory listing enabled. By mistake? :|
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:33 pm
sverx wrote
lucascabral.ym2612 wrote
Plus, able to acess the folder 'download'. That's normal?

Directory listing enabled. By mistake? :|

Nope, it has always been this way.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:53 pm
xfixium wrote
Nope, it has always been this way.

Oh, OK then! :)
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:00 pm
Apologies if I missed this, but is SMS Tile Studio a proprietary tool or is the source/binary available?
Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:40 pm
SavagePencil wrote
Apologies if I missed this, but is SMS Tile Studio a proprietary tool or is the source/binary available?

Eventually source and binaries will be available on GitHub. It's not polished enough for the general public imo.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:14 pm
xfixium wrote
SavagePencil wrote

Eventually source and binaries will be available on GitHub. It's not polished enough for the general public imo.

I was literally about to ask about this as well as it looks incredibly handy and infinitely better than using ms-paint like I am at the minute lol
Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:27 am
Louis The SEGA Nerd wrote
xfixium wrote
SavagePencil wrote

I was literally about to ask about this as well as it looks incredibly handy and infinitely better than using ms-paint like I am at the minute lol

Unfortunately, it will not replace your MS Paint. XD But it does make life easier for complex scenes and sprite animation.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:52 pm
I have a bit of a fondness for making custom cover art and tried my hand at making a piece of cover art for this.
Castlevania (fake SMS cover).png (2.79 MB)
Castlevania SMS Cover, first attempt
Castlevania (fake SMS cover).png

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:54 am
Jareth247 wrote
I have a bit of a fondness for making custom cover art and tried my hand at making a piece of cover art for this.

Yooooooo that's awesome :D
Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:45 pm
Really nice project, I'm so excited to see how is it going and if you managed to have a full stage to play at the moment :D

Quick question, I was wondering if you are using assembly to code the game or do you use C with a tool that would convert your C program into a .sms rom file?

Keep up the good work guys! :P
Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:13 am
drunkensnake92 wrote
Really nice project, I'm so excited to see how is it going and if you managed to have a full stage to play at the moment :D

Quick question, I was wondering if you are using assembly to code the game or do you use C with a tool that would convert your C program into a .sms rom file?

I believe it is using devkitsms which is a C compiler for the SMS :)
Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:01 am
Louis The SEGA Nerd wrote
drunkensnake92 wrote

I believe it is using devkitsms which is a C compiler for the SMS :)

Oh ok I see! I didn't know that this kit existed, I intended years ago to get into coding to create some NES or SMS games but when I saw assembly and what it required I was a bit afraid and then I forgot about it, my background as coder is mostly with web apps using PHP/html/css/js, sometimes I do bash scripts as well but I haven't used asm or C, just C++ back in school for a project.

When I am seeing what we can do with such kits and since I've got a new job in a company with a boss that have been coding a lot on 6502, it motivates me to have a side project and start doing things :p
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:00 am
If you want to give a try, I've the source code of my game Gotris open:
https://gitlab.com/TuxedoGameDevs/gotris
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:52 am
kusfo wrote
If you want to give a try, I've the source code of my game Gotris open:

So nice! Thank you a lot, I will take a look this week after work :)
Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:26 pm
Another awesome xfixium project! :)
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:17 am
Hi, @xfixium. The thread dont have more post from you about the project. So i will put a video about a similar project for Atari XE.

I hope that your project end for first.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:39 am
segarule wrote
Hi, @xfixium. The thread dont have more post from you about the project. So i will put a video about a similar project for Atari XE.

Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting, I actually never heard of the XE.

I did create a small test video of some progress, right before I hit some personal issues for about 3 months or so. During that time Mondo offered to handle graphics for the game. Which is awesome. So there may be some up and coming things graphically. I've been flip flopping between TMNT and Castlevania, which keeps my interest pretty well, admittedly. I'm always working on something, even if it doesn't look it. I haven't been all that enthusiastic about updates.

https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0012.mp4
Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:03 pm
segarule wrote

Yeah, but that's an A8 with a VBXE. That's VBXE is lame.. it's a whole new video chip and modes that never existed for the A8 line (and would have NEVER existed either).. it blows away visual capabilities of the Atari ST.. but also the Amiga! 1024 color mode out 65k palette, linear pixels, frame buffer, blitter, transparency, etc. That thing is completely unrealistic haha.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:08 am
xfixium wrote
segarule wrote

Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting, I actually never heard of the XE.

I did create a small test video of some progress, right before I hit some personal issues for about 3 months or so. During that time Mondo offered to handle graphics for the game. Which is awesome. So there may be some up and coming things graphically. I've been flip flopping between TMNT and Castlevania, which keeps my interest pretty well, admittedly. I'm always working on something, even if it doesn't look it. I haven't been all that enthusiastic about updates.

https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0012.mp4

Great! i saw that you built 2 modes - Classic and Normal. It will be in final version or is only test?
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:12 am
turboxray wrote
segarule wrote

Yeah, but that's an A8 with a VBXE. That's VBXE is lame.. it's a whole new video chip and modes that never existed for the A8 line (and would have NEVER existed either).. it blows away visual capabilities of the Atari ST.. but also the Amiga! 1024 color mode out 65k palette, linear pixels, frame buffer, blitter, transparency, etc. That thing is completely unrealistic haha.

@turboray i´m rooting for see your talent in our sms scene.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:45 pm
segarule wrote

Great! i saw that you built 2 modes - Classic and Normal. It will be in final version or is only test?

Yes, it will be in the final game as an option. Stage select is only for testing.
this is insane
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:26 pm
I just saw trailer #3 on Révo's YouTube channel. This looks better and better with each looks we get. 👏🏻👏🏻💪🏻💪🏻

xfixium: would you consider making the current version available? This might not be fully playable, but it really is interesting and it would be great to have a snapshot of how it keeps improving.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:18 pm
Alys Kidd wrote
I just saw trailer #3 on Révo's YouTube channel. This looks better and better with each looks we get. 👏🏻👏🏻💪🏻💪🏻

xfixium: would you consider making the current version available? This might not be fully playable, but it really is interesting and it would be great to have a snapshot of how it keeps improving.

Unfortunately, the current version is in a WIP state, and I have yet to put the source in any repository to pull a previous version. Last I remember I was swapping out the collision methods for something better.

I'll release something when it is in order. However, currently I'm working on TMNT. Thanks for viewing!
castlevania_0006.png (25.94 KB)
Various graphics wips
castlevania_0006.png

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:13 am
xfixium wrote
segarule wrote

Yes, it will be in the final game as an option. Stage select is only for testing.

Ok. Why not change the sprites for Simon in Normal version with a modern visual considering that all scenario is update?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:20 pm
segarule wrote
xfixium wrote
segarule wrote

Ok. Why not change the sprites for Simon in Normal version with a modern visual considering that all scenario is update?

I will be, I did post a WIP of new Simon previously in this topic, it's just not done yet. For now I'll use the original as a place holder.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:55 am
xfixium wrote
segarule wrote
xfixium wrote
segarule wrote

I will be, I did post a WIP of new Simon previously in this topic, it's just not done yet. For now I'll use the original as a place holder.

I saw now. When you quoted lucascabral.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:47 pm
It looks great great, there are HD packs for Mesen emulator, those graphics belong to old mobile phones releases of Castlevania for Japan only, plus a few fan created graphics, that can be used for the project.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:50 am
Last edited by segarule on Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Im posting this video that explain how to Castlevania works Collision values and ...

Ok. This is the NES version but maybe help you.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:53 am
segarule wrote
Im posting this video that explain how to Castlevania works Collision values and ...

Ok. This is the NES version but maybe help you.

I'm a subscriber, I saw this vid some time ago :D
Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:41 am
Apparently there is a Windows version of Castlevania:
https://github.com/NearHuscarl/Castlevania
https://forum.gamemaker.io/index.php?threads/castlevania-nes-remake.44912/
Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:06 pm
Graphics update! Mondo has put together new graphics for stage one, and they are amazing! The project is in a wip state, as I have said prior, but here's a vid of Mondo's work in game:

https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0013.mp4
Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:01 pm
Wicked! Incredible and original use of color. Love the details like the paintings, wallpaper, and lighting reflection on the windows.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:19 pm
Looks excellent. I love the attention to detail, like using pure white only in the solid foreground tiles, which makes the level lay-out much more readable for the player, even in peripheral vision.

One minor thing I would suggest is trying to get rid the brightest shade on the columns, so they appear to be more in the background. It might make them less pretty, though, so maybe it’s not worth the tradeoff.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:43 pm
Glad you like it guys!

Kagesan wrote

One minor thing I would suggest is trying to get rid the brightest shade on the columns, so they appear to be more in the background. It might make them less pretty, though, so maybe it’s not worth the tradeoff.

Yep I wrestled with that, I mentioned it to xfixium when I sent it. I couldn't find a compromise that I liked unfortunately! When the sprites are done and moving around in the level I'll have a better idea of whether it works I think (they'll be using light colours as much as possible including white, and have black outlines), but I'll definitely have to change it somehow if it's confusing the eye. Thanks for the notes, love your art btw!
Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:27 am
xfixium wrote
Graphics update! Mondo has put together new graphics for stage one, and they are amazing! The project is in a wip state, as I have said prior, but here's a vid of Mondo's work in game:

https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0013.mp4

Marvelous! it have even a bit of graphics from SC 4 that i love.
Im worry about you will pay attention with 3 projects in same time. Do you think that will have time for Castlevania, TMNT and PSII?
Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:58 am
segarule wrote

Im worry about you will pay attention with 3 projects in same time. Do you think that will have time for Castlevania, TMNT and PSII?

Sure, in fact it keeps everything interesting rotating through them. I learn something new in each, which in turn improves all the projects. I'm also not in any particular rush.

Also also, I revamped the PS II title screen with a dithering effect similar to the original. Not as many steps, but it's a start:

https://pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_ps2/videos/psii_0002.mp4
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:20 am
Still following this project with anticipation. I like the Simon "IV-esque" sprite. :-)
Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:05 pm
Hi @xfixium. Happy new year. I would like in know how is the Catlevania development. BTW, you did a video
https://www.pyxosoft.com/projects/sms_castlevania/videos/castlevania_0003.mp4
The Castlevania with Alucard character.
Recently, pigsy released this video:

I would disturb if ask you to play with Alucard character and a piece of SotN stage?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!