SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Maze3d

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:17 am
Last edited by under4mhz on Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Cavencruiser wrote
When you post the update can you make the gamegear start button switch weapons?

It works in the emulator. Would you be able try it on Emulicious as well?
Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:21 am
Cavencruiser wrote
Small discovery- score overflows and resets very quickly, and time bonus doesnt work at end. Also, soldiers miss alot more than the real game and hardly shoot you, making it possible to just stab every soldier up close instead of shooting them or worrying about getting shot. Maybe adding difficulty options can fix this, to make enemies more accurate if you want a challenge. Also, it would be nice if the gameboy port had a pause button to pause the game. Start does nothing as of now

Thanks for the feedback. I was accidentally using an char for the score. I've changed it to a 32 bit. I'll have a fiddle with the guard logic and see if I can get it closer to the original. It's surprisingly difficult to get the balance of difficulty right.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:23 pm
under4mhz wrote
Cavencruiser wrote
Small discovery- score overflows and resets very quickly, and time bonus doesnt work at end. Also, soldiers miss alot more than the real game and hardly shoot you, making it possible to just stab every soldier up close instead of shooting them or worrying about getting shot. Maybe adding difficulty options can fix this, to make enemies more accurate if you want a challenge. Also, it would be nice if the gameboy port had a pause button to pause the game. Start does nothing as of now

Thanks for the feedback. I was accidentally using an char for the score. I've changed it to a 32 bit. I'll have a fiddle with the guard logic and see if I can get it closer to the original. It's surprisingly difficult to get the balance of difficulty right.

The latest build allows the start button to cycle weapons on gamegear, the ssgaurd is broken and wont die though on the gamegear version, and the score is still messed up for both gamegear and gameboy. Maybe consider disabling fps meter for future releases too. Besides this, this in incredible achievement by itself and what you've done so far is well appreciated!
Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:04 am
A new release.

The SS guard is no long invulnerable. This was caused by a bad peep-hole optimisation.

I updated the enemy hit rate and hit amount a bit. They will hit more often and hurt slightly more. He also moves at 45 degree to the player so to avoid coming straight at you. Since the weapon angle is quite large, it doesn't usually effect the outcome.

I've optimised it a bit more, mostly in the enemy rendering code. This was done partly with peep-hole optimisations and partly by re-arranging the c code a bit. I added an unsigned 16 absolute value which stopped sdcc trying to do signed math with the default signed abs. I have some 16 bit subtraction overflow checks when I calculate objects screen position, those were moved till after the object was determined to be visible. I also used more static variables to keep calculations off the stack (which is slower). I sacrificed a bit of memory to store the object positions as a 16bit x,y instead of keeping them as 8bit then scaling back to the player scale.

I reworked the larger levels slightly to have less items, particularly floor 3. This brought the frame rate up slightly by half a frame. Most of the game generally runs at about 6 fps. I removed the frame rate counter.

I added a pause dialog for GB/SMS which have pause buttons.

The door can be opened from a step away, so you don't have to be right up to it to open it.

The score has been fixed. I use a 32bit int instead of 16. A rendering function was passing the score as 8bit and was getting rounded.

https://under4mhz.itch.io/wolfenstein-maze-3d

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:23 am
slogra wrote
I quickly created a small section of the Wonder music in SnevenTracker, because i wanted to know how it could sound with a low bass.

What do you think?

Your version definitely sounds better. It takes advantage of the SMS hardware better than my simple conversion. As you say, music tends to be lower in priority, but I'll have a look into it next time I'm updating the music.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:54 pm
under4mhz wrote
A new release.

The SS guard is no long invulnerable. This was caused by a bad peep-hole optimisation.

I updated the enemy hit rate and hit amount a bit. They will hit more often and hurt slightly more. He also moves at 45 degree to the player so to avoid coming straight at you. Since the weapon angle is quite large, it doesn't usually effect the outcome.

I've optimised it a bit more, mostly in the enemy rendering code. This was done partly with peep-hole optimisations and partly by re-arranging the c code a bit. I added an unsigned 16 absolute value which stopped sdcc trying to do signed math with the default signed abs. I have some 16 bit subtraction overflow checks when I calculate objects screen position, those were moved till after the object was determined to be visible. I also used more static variables to keep calculations off the stack (which is slower). I sacrificed a bit of memory to store the object positions as a 16bit x,y instead of keeping them as 8bit then scaling back to the player scale.

I reworked the larger levels slightly to have less items, particularly floor 3. This brought the frame rate up slightly by half a frame. Most of the game generally runs at about 6 fps. I removed the frame rate counter.

I added a pause dialog for GB/SMS which have pause buttons.

The door can be opened from a step away, so you don't have to be right up to it to open it.

The score has been fixed. I use a 32bit int instead of 16. A rendering function was passing the score as 8bit and was getting rounded.

https://under4mhz.itch.io/wolfenstein-maze-3d

Nice one mate I just spotted my ugly moosh on your website lol. Thanks for linking my video and I really do like what you're doing with the game 👍
Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:44 pm
8BitBoy wrote
Nice one mate I just spotted my ugly moosh on your website lol. Thanks for linking my video and I really do like what you're doing with the game 👍

Thanks. The website had a spot for a video, and I thought you wouldn't mind; the more publicity the better.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:26 am
yup.. this is awesome
Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:16 am
He's the levels for Maze3d. Someone mentioned wanting to create new levels.

There were taken originally from https://tcrf.net/Proto:Wolfenstein_3D_%28DOS%29/Map_Differences

I recoloured them to SG-1000 colours, to ensure they were all consistent. The colours don't matter, as long as the map levels match the map blocks. I've added a tile set rearranged for Tiled - I found it a bit difficult to use.

I create the levels from a conversion tool to C array, which I link into the game uncompressed. I haven't got a way to update the levels in the rom without compiling.
Maze3dLevels.zip (788.43 KB)

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:26 pm
How is this project coming along? Is there still a Colecovision port in the works? Been playing a lot of Coleco lately so I figured I'd ask since it was mentioned a while back
Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:09 pm
under4mhz wrote
He's the levels for Maze3d. Someone mentioned wanting to create new levels.

There were taken originally from https://tcrf.net/Proto:Wolfenstein_3D_%28DOS%29/Map_Differences

I recoloured them to SG-1000 colours, to ensure they were all consistent. The colours don't matter, as long as the map levels match the map blocks. I've added a tile set rearranged for Tiled - I found it a bit difficult to use.

I create the levels from a conversion tool to C array, which I link into the game uncompressed. I haven't got a way to update the levels in the rom without compiling.

Neat! Going to try to make some SMS specific levels.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:32 pm
Greenknight9000 wrote
How is this project coming along? Is there still a Colecovision port in the works? Been playing a lot of Coleco lately so I figured I'd ask since it was mentioned a while back

I'm working with Cote Gamers to release a physical cartridge for ColecoVision and MSX. His lead times tend to be fairly long though.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:10 am
Doom is on all machines except the SMS. Most Doom ports on old machines use a Wolfenstein-like engine.

The idea is to do the same for the SMS. Even only a demo of one map would be very great.

I guess this will be needed:
- Make a Wolfenstein map that resembles the layout of Doom map E1M1
- Dark grey and brown walls
- Light grey door
- Soldiers can be zombies
- ideally imps shoot projectiles

Btw. i found this Doom 2 map for Wolfenstein:
https://www.moddb.com/games/wolfenstein-3d/addons/doom-2-map011
I haven't found Doom 1 maps for Wolfenstein yet :(. I kinda hoped someone already made those.
I can (attempt to) make the map of the first level of Doom 1. Even this small map will barely fit in the Wolfenstein map size. So all bigger maps will be a problem.

What do you think?
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!