Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Possibility of External Sound Chips on SMS?

Reply to topic
Possibility of External Sound Chips on SMS?
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:27 pm
I wanted to ask really quickly if extra sound chips integrated into cartridges are a possibility on the SMS since I imagine Konami would have definitely found a way to create their own special audio chip for the system like the VRC6, VRC7, and SCC chips. I haven't delved too deep into the connector pin layout to find the answer for myself but I figured I should ask in case anyone else has and wanted to discuss. I think it would be very neat to create a Konami style extra sound chip for the system if possible and add more variety to SMS game music beyond simple PSG or FM.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:39 pm
Mostly no.

The SMS cartridge slot has no audio inputs. The only way to add audio would be to somehow pass the TV connection through the cartridge. If using RF that would be extremely difficult to do. If using the AV connection (which SMS2s don’t have) it would be more plausible.
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:13 pm
Maxim wrote
Mostly no.

The SMS cartridge slot has no audio inputs. The only way to add audio would be to somehow pass the TV connection through the cartridge. If using RF that would be extremely difficult to do. If using the AV connection (which SMS2s don’t have) it would be more plausible.

Ah, ok. I guess the only way to add audio would be the same way the FM add-on works then? No audio inputs means no chips in the cartridges, as you mentioned, but could there be any sort of additional input through the card slot like the 3D glasses? I know that cuts off SMS2 compatibility, unfortunately but I'd like to make sure every possibility is ruled out, even Japanese console exclusive things.
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:40 pm
You could always put a little speaker in the cartridge :)
Or audio output from the cartridge and then mix it through some external hardware?
Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:36 pm
willbritton wrote
You could always put a little speaker in the cartridge :)
Or audio output from the cartridge and then mix it through some external hardware?

I imagine that would be like a cartridge with its own doodads sticking out acting like a cross between the FM expansion and a game cart.

It's a shame there's really nothing to expand the sound capabilities with without doing some massive experimentation and tinkering. Maybe Konami would have done it had things been different back then.
Could the Expansion Port work?
Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 pm
I assume the expansion port would be the only other option to include extra music chips, and it'd need to hook up through it's own power supply and feed through the AV connector as well like the FM module.

Old Konami might have been crazy enough to do that, I don't know. I feel like it'd be a fun project, though admittedly kind of pointless without any games to support it.
Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:33 am
The issue with anything to do with re-routing the AV output is that there is a lot of Master System II players out there. That only have RF output. 1-in-20 is still a lot of people.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!