SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Strange Game Labels

Reply to topic
Strange Game Labels
Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:43 am
Hi there,

A local antique store is doing an online auction for a Master System with some games. The photos posted of the cartridges show games with some strange labels. I have tried to research if this style of label means anything special (prototype, dev cart, etc.) but they don't seem to match anything that I have been able to find.

Most labels look simply like they were homemade replacement labels, but the labels for Enduro Racer, Shinobi, and something titled "MK-7502-50 GOL..." look like they might be more interesting than just a worn out label.

Unfortunately, I can't see the games until I am the winning bidder, but I can't tell how serious I should be about bidding until I have more information on if these may be special cartridges. I would want to make sure they are preserved if there is something to them that could be valuable for the community.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:26 am
MK-7502 is Golfamania: https://segaretro.org/Golfamania
Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:43 am
I'm pretty sure they are all protos of some kind
Nobody would write serial numbers on a sticker to replace the original sticker they would have destroyed at home.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:48 am
As they look like regular cartridges, they could be QA test cartridges, if they're not just regular cartridges with labels replaced. Which means it might contain exactly the same ROM or you might be very lucky.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:10 pm
They are all samples/protos of some kind.

I would say about half of them tend to be final build, and the other half tend to be a lbefore-final proto builds. Because I have dumped so many of them already (the post-2010 releases are listed here), it is quite frequent that proto builds are already dumped, but in a lot this like there's generally at least one totally undumped version.

If that's a possibility I'd be very interested in bidding on them - with your help (and happy to part any duplicates with ones I have). PM-ed you about it.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!