8 10% 10%
9 (Excellent) 10% 10%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding Competition 2023] Lil Evel Knievel by SteveProXNA
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:08 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/LilEvelKnievel-SMS

# Lil Evel Knievel SMS
Lil Evel Knievel game for the SMS Power! 2023 Competition.

###### RELEASE
Monday, 27th March 2023

###### INTRO
A tribute to the greatest daredevil!

Lil Evel Knievel defies gravity with his gnarly skate board skills to conquer the original Wonderboy aquazone.

###### TOOLS
- Programming:    devkitSMS
- Compiler        sdcc 4.1.0
- Languages:      C / Z80
- Visual Studio   2015
- Graphics:       BMP2Tile 0.43 / GIMP2 / paint.net
- Music:          pcmenc / VGM2PSG
- Assembler:      WLA-DX
- Emulators:      Emulicious / Fusion / Meka
- Debuggers:      VS Code Emulicious Debugger

###### SOURCE CODE
https://github.com/SteveProXNA/LilEvelKnievelSMS

###### ROM HACKING
You can hack this ROM!
Download and dump LilEvelKnievel.sms into Hex Editor, e.g. HxD, and modify the bytes:
- 0x004F    Delay             Used to speed through any game delay.
- 0x0050    Invincible        Non-zero value enables invincibility.
- 0x0051    GravityJump       Jump once while falling from gravity.
- 0x0052    HarderLands       Tougher platform collision detection.
- 0x0053    Music Off         Set 0=Music to play otherwise silent.
- 0x0054    Sound Off         Set 0=Sound to play otherwise silent.
- 0x0055    Riffs Off         Set 0=Riffs to play otherwise silent.

###### LEVELS
Due to time constraints the initial V1.0 build ships with 10x levels only, unfortunately. World:05 x Round:02.

But there are plans immediately to add more levels! Pls let me know if you would like to contribute ideas...!

###### RIFFS
Things you may have missed; riffs from: AC/DC, Austin Powers, Gn'R, Simpsons, Van Halen, Wayne's World, WWF Wrestling

###### CREDITS
Extra special thanks to: sverx for [devkitSMS](https://github.com/sverx/devkitSMS) and Calindro for their 24/7 Tech Support!

Plus thanks goes to: Maxim, bock, eruiz00, haroldoop + kusfo

###### DOCUMENTATION
Links to documentation on games written for the Sega Master System using devkitSMS:
http://steveproxna.blogspot.com/search/label/devkitSMS

###### CONTACT
- Blog:     http://steveproxna.blogspot.com
- Email:    steven_boland@hotmail.com
- Twitter:  [@SteveProXNA](http://twitter.com/SteveProXNA)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:46 am
Lol, those samples are hilarious.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:42 pm
Nice scrolling demonstration, very fluid and very clean, and a good integration of digitized sounds, congratulations Steve !
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:50 pm
Kagesan wrote
Lol, those samples are hilarious.

Ha! Nice one - thanks Kagesan...!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:55 pm
Guy wrote
Nice scrolling demonstration, very fluid and very clean, and a good integration of digitized sounds, congratulations Steve !

Thank you Guy - pity time ran out before being able to add more levels and/or tweak game play etc but did want to contribute something to the community...
PS: big thanks to kusfo for the parallax scrolling - I used very similar code from Gotris - plus kusfo also helped crash course how to integrate digitized sounds using pcmenc
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:32 am
SteveProXNA wrote
Guy wrote

Thank you Guy - pity time ran out before being able to add more levels and/or tweak game play etc but did want to contribute something to the community...
PS: big thanks to kusfo for the parallax scrolling - I used very similar code from Gotris - plus kusfo also helped crash course how to integrate digitized sounds using pcmenc

You're welcome Steve! :-D
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:08 pm
This game is ridiculous - I absolutely love it!

I never in a million billion trillion years expected to be playing a game on a Master System where I had to jump a baby on a skateboard (apparently the lovechild of Evil Knievel and Wonderboy) over bridges of turtles only to be rewarded by Austin Powers asking me if I make him horny, finally topped off by a speeded up Shinobi jingle. But, somehow, here we are.

A great showcase for sampled audio and a sign that I simply must build some into my next game. Also a copyright lawyer's wet dream.

Thanks for bringing a barrel-full of laughter to an otherwise grey and gloomy day Friday afternoon in London @SteveProXNA!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:33 pm
The guitar intro reminds me of the early Beavis & Buthead games. What an odd concept for Wonderboy.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:45 pm
willbritton wrote
This game is ridiculous - I absolutely love it!

I never in a million billion trillion years expected to be playing a game on a Master System where I had to jump a baby on a skateboard (apparently the lovechild of Evil Knievel and Wonderboy) over bridges of turtles only to be rewarded by Austin Powers asking me if I make him horny, finally topped off by a speeded up Shinobi jingle. But, somehow, here we are.

A great showcase for sampled audio and a sign that I simply must build some into my next game. Also a copyright lawyer's wet dream.

Thanks for bringing a barrel-full of laughter to an otherwise grey and gloomy day Friday afternoon in London @SteveProXNA!

Thank you willbritton for those very kind words - glad you liked the game!!

BTW: I blogged about the sampled audio development here if you are interested - pls feel free to reach out if you have any Qs e.g. ususally the PCMs will need to span multiple banks i.e. split up the original WAV file etc. to accommodate

Hopefully, sounds like people appreciated the twisted humor in the game - we don't get to do crazy stuff like this in the "real world" of Professional software development - very thankful to communities like SMS Power! which provide an excellent outlet =P
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:57 pm
thatawesomeguy wrote
The guitar intro reminds me of the early Beavis & Buthead games. What an odd concept for Wonderboy.

Thanks thatawesomeguy - I never played any Beavis & Buthead games but that timing certainly could have been inspired by early 90s metal as this intro was [Speed Kills by Michael Angelo Batio]
Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:40 pm
Btw, I realised that in github there's only the README and the License files. I wanted to take a look at your Command pattern implementation :-)
Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:08 pm
kusfo wrote
Btw, I realised that in github there's only the README and the License files. I wanted to take a look at your Command pattern implementation :-)

Hey kusfo - the source code is in pretty bad shape and I haven't had a chance to clean up and upload yet but I can direct message you a link to a back up copy of the code from a different Github account...
Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:49 pm
Thanks Steve! I'll take a look, I just read your message. Thanks for sharing!
Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:04 pm
kusfo wrote
Thanks Steve! I'll take a look, I just read your message. Thanks for sharing!

Nice one - cheers kusfo
Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:47 pm
It's a fairly simple runner concept, but I had fun playing it for what it was ! :)

But I must say, it was not necessarily clear what consituted a gap that you can go over without jumping. Sometimes I can just skate over a hole like it's nothing. But sometimes, turtles that look connected to one another just let me pass through and fall to my doom... But then again, sometimes I can just skate through similar patterns of turtles going up and down just fine.

You definitely had a field day with those samples :D but the music was much louder than the samples, so I sometimes could not hear what was said. Not sure if we can change anything in any way since sample playback is not exactly what the sound hardware was designed for!

A suggestion: Because there are so many variants of jumps and ways to do flips and 360's, I feel that the player should get some sort of reward for making successful tricks while in the air! Maybe some points which add up to an extra life?

In any case, good work!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:14 pm
armixer24 wrote
It's a fairly simple runner concept, but I had fun playing it for what it was ! :)

But I must say, it was not necessarily clear what consituted a gap that you can go over without jumping. Sometimes I can just skate over a hole like it's nothing. But sometimes, turtles that look connected to one another just let me pass through and fall to my doom... But then again, sometimes I can just skate through similar patterns of turtles going up and down just fine.

You definitely had a field day with those samples :D but the music was much louder than the samples, so I sometimes could not hear what was said. Not sure if we can change anything in any way since sample playback is not exactly what the sound hardware was designed for!

A suggestion: Because there are so many variants of jumps and ways to do flips and 360's, I feel that the player should get some sort of reward for making successful tricks while in the air! Maybe some points which add up to an extra life?

In any case, good work!

Thanks armixer24 for your feedback - some fair points for sure - unfortunately due to time constraints the game design was limited. The start / demo screens show player on Easier modes can skate over a single hole but that extended to all modes to encourage jumping over larger gaps although you can hack the ROM to force collisions detected over single hole on harder modes. The player can always fall down and land on turtle beneath if there is one but should currently never be able to go up.

RE: music - I did notice the different volume levels but only on real hardware - not so much on emulation - not sure if anything could be done here because I "found" the music as is. You should always be able to hear the PCMs though as the music pauses e.g. at checkpoint then plays PCM and music resumes however

Finally, I did think of something similar to your suggestion but ran out of time. In fact, I wonder if the game design may be better if there is one main challenge per level in which you see demo'd to you and you have to replicate the flip(s) 360(s) etc. for that challenge to pass - maybe ideas for a future version...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!