Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Flashpoint (SMS/KR), Street Master (SMS/KR), Wonsiin (SMS/KR)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Flashpoint (SMS/KR), Street Master (SMS/KR), Wonsiin (SMS/KR)
Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 am
Last edited by Bock on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
The Korean festival continues with some very rare Zemina stuff today. Zemina was a company actively developping for MSX and some of their games were ported to the Gam*Boy / Master System in Korea.

First we have Flashpoint (후레쉬포인트) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Master System an interesting Tetris based clone, with the twist that instead of being regular Tetris marathon game each level has certain blocks you have to remove (similar to Columns' Flash mode). It is also a fully two-players game and although very basic in its realisation it is very playable. Huge thanks to Derboo for donating this cartridge!

Second we have Street Master (스트리트마스터) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Master System, an uninspired fighting game - well, inspired by a well known license. Among unlicensed or original games from Korea this stands out particularly as being barely playable. I couldn't get to win a single match, will you be able to?

Last but not least, we have Wonsiin (원시인) for the Samsung Gam*Boy / Master System, a vertical ground shooter in the vein of Knightmare or The Three Dragon Story that is actually pretty decent. Boss seems really difficult though. The game seems to be an unlicensed adaptation of Hudson Soft's Famicom game "Shin Jinrui: The New Type" / "Adventures of Dino Riki".

All those games uses new mappers that aren't supported by older emulators.
This week were released MEKA 0.73 and SMS Plus 053010 with support for those mappers. Support in RetroCopy will be added in the next version, and I believe FluBBa's excellent S8DS for the DS already support them too.

Enjoy!

( As the site is now transitioning to its new structure, there is no ROM download link from the games page yet. Please check the usual releases page or mirrors to retrieve the files in the meanwhile. )
Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:42 pm
Awesome to see more of these rare obscure games available. Do you have any idea if Zemina and others converted these games themselves and sold them for the SMS or did others pirate their MSX-games?
Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:39 pm
Zemina converted and sold the games themselves.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:57 am
For Street Master, use jumpkicks! Note that you can only kick once while in the air, so be sure to time it right. And make sure you don't get cornered.
Getting through a level unharmed isn't impossible, but it takes forever to get the timing right.

Watch out for The Ninja's comboattacks.

Even though it's kinda crappy, they spent some time making each character have their own sound effects and different background music for each stage.
A bit fun but sloooow.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:54 pm
Woot! Almost missed it! :)

Amazing enough, Won-si-in runs without any modification on MSX! If you guys want to play it right now, just get some MSX emulator, load the ROM and presto! =)

Thank you so much Bock for releasing this game!!! :)
Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:05 pm
Last edited by Tycho on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:07 pm
Tycho wrote
Thanks Bock, I love tetris clones! :D
How many more undiscovered/undumped gam*boy games are there?

Probably up to fifty. The problem is tracking/buying them.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:45 am
As far as known titles go, there are more than 15 completely undumped MSX games that could also exist as a Gam*Boy version (a little less than half of them are confirmed for a Gam*boy port), a handful where only the MSX version is dumped so far, as well as three or four Gam*Boy exclusives (General's Son, which Bock acquired, '94 World Cup Soccer and Bugtris, which are on the Dodgeball King 7 Pack, and possibly Twin Mouse, which is on that rare Australian All Action 4 PAK).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:28 pm
I didn't know but Flashpoint is actually based on a Sega arcade game:
http://ages.sega.jp/vol28/flash.html
It's available in PS2 Sega Ages Vol 28 (Tetris Collection) and apparently has sprite cameos of Alex Kidd, Opa Opa.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 am
sorry to bump this old thread, but I have a request: could I borrow mapper recognition code from Meka to use in MESS? and if so, who shall I credit?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:36 am
etabeta wrote
sorry to bump this old thread, but I have a request: could I borrow mapper recognition code from Meka to use in MESS? and if so, who shall I credit?

Yes you can borrow anything from MEKA (its license is BSD-like).
For that part you can credit me (Omar Cornut) although strictly speaking it is a very small bit of code so you don't necessarily have to credit if its an inconvenience.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:55 pm
Bock wrote
Yes you can borrow anything from MEKA (its license is BSD-like).

I had checked the license, but I thought it was nicer to ask before using it

Bock wrote
For that part you can credit me (Omar Cornut) although strictly speaking it is a very small bit of code so you don't necessarily have to credit if its an inconvenience.

yup, but being such a small piece of code (it just loops the ROM while looking for LD and checking the corresponding address), it seemed pointless to rewrite it, when I can simply use your version and say thanks to you for it :)

I still have a question for you, though: is it correct that Flashpoint uses no mapper? here, the detection loop gets everything 0 and the game does not work, but the game code writes a lot of values to 0x20** range...
any hint?

EDIT: Ok it seems I somehow missed MEKA 0.73 whatsnew mention of Flashpoint using "no bank switching" mapper :(
I'm going to study a bit more the game behavior, now that I have an idea of what the problem is!

EDIT2: Am I correct that we currently need to rely on a crc check to identify Flashpoint (in order to disable the banswitch function)?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:09 pm
So, about Flashpoint, it is quite simple, the game writes in the FFFD-FFFF RAM region (because it sees it as normal RAM) and doesn't expect any bank switching to occur.

The "error" originally comes from the fact that most emulators by default always enable Sega-style bankswitching mapper on all images regardless of their size.
A better heuristical approach would be to disable the bankswitching mapper for all ROM files <= 32 KB. I believe all known existing games would function properly with that setting. It's not perfect but it would be more correct this way if you tend to support games without a database or an up to date database.
MEKA currently needs the meka.nam dabatase for Flashpoint because it enable bankswitching by default regarding of ROM file size, something that I would like to change for the next release by the way.

You probably can't detect every single games configuration/mappers without a checksum (or using very customized detection for unique game which in the end would be similar to a checksum)..
Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:05 pm
thanks a lot for the info.

the code to support Flashpoint and FA Tetris is now in MESS (even it will require to be cleaned up, later: as you stated, a base SMS should probably have no bankswitch code as default and the emu should only add it when a cart larger that 32K is loaded...)
Sega mapper hack for Wonsiin and Flashpoint
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:42 pm
Last edited by bsittler on Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
In case you like to play Wonsiin or Flashpoint on a flash cart or emulator that only supports the Sega mapper, here are Sega mapper conversion hacks for them. Also, for Wonsiin there are two patches for MSX users: one converts the game to the ASCII16 mapper, the other converts it to the ASCII8 mapper.

ROM images to which to apply the patches:

32K Flashpoint (KR).sms
Checking for export header with matching CRC... NO
sha256:c6d945e79a22cc6da9ed6937d6a93a6df64835f1a577454e1c90b03e7d245186 Flashpoint (KR).sms
sha1:bfa43eaa99c470eaa542ba37033651c2759b9874 Flashpoint (KR).sms
md5:e74328c8cdd71af02ed99b17139126cd Flashpoint (KR).sms
mekacrc:0909D2F70850EDE0 Flashpoint (KR).sms
crc32:61e8806f Flashpoint (KR).sms

128K Wonsiin (KR).sms
sha256:ee22d7b7fcd59e81ee6fda7b82356883d9c3d8ea3c99e6591487d1f28d569073 Wonsiin (KR).sms
sha1:f98f9c0fd32b2392b57b14105a9b730c8957d9b9 Wonsiin (KR).sms
md5:c53091e60b5bd473142ca231dd96f6eb Wonsiin (KR).sms
mekacrc:7DA12B7293A88D7D Wonsiin (KR).sms
crc32:a05258f5 Wonsiin (KR).sms

edit: fixed ROM sizes in inserted TMR SEGA headers

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:35 pm
SLotman wrote
Woot! Almost missed it! :)

Amazing enough, Won-si-in runs without any modification on MSX! If you guys want to play it right now, just get some MSX emulator, load the ROM and presto! =)

Thank you so much Bock for releasing this game!!! :)

Street Master also works as an MSX ROM, apparently. I didn't get very far, but everything seemed to work
Sega mapper patch for Street Master
Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:05 am
Imagine you want to play Street Master (or at least subject yourself to its ear-splitting tunes once) on your emulator, FPGA, or flash cartridge, but that system only understands the Sega mapper. Further imagine that Street Master's 128KB is too small, and you want a 512KB version with lots of duplicated data.

... well, no need to imagine it. Here's a BPS-format patch to do exactly that! Apply it to the original 128KB Street Master and you will get a 512KB monstrosity that is somehow barely playable (authentically so, I believe, though I didn't get all that far yet.)

You should be able to apply the patch using Floating IPS

ROM to apply this patch to:

128K Street Master (KR).sms
sha256:cad9e768d6c7a1f781f2bf6c13ceab9142135d36fadab8db4b77edc9ae926be7 Street Master (KR).sms
sha1:49f9d62f121d3b7e35d38436c920a53b7070ecd4 Street Master (KR).sms
md5:ea83395c811ab1e40e9f3f6b47908ae7 Street Master (KR).sms
mekacrc:F1E64D24CBBD220E Street Master (KR).sms
crc32:83f0eede Street Master (KR).sms

P.S. The patch also breaks MSX compatibility. Use the original, unpatched ROM instead if you have an MSX or MSX emulator.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!