SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega MyCard cases

Reply to topic
Sega MyCard cases
Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:25 am
Howdy.

I've been collecting Japanese games, hardware, and peripherals for the last half year and I've been putting all my Japanese games in American style game cases and making reproduction art for the cases so I can store them on my shelves next to my American games. In the course of collecting I've acquired a rather large assortment of Japanese MyCard games and I'd like to similarly restore and store them, but I've been unable to find reproduction cases for Sega cards despite searching rather extensively. At this point, I'm considering commissioning a plastics manufacturing company to produce some Sega card cases for me. As I have little doubt I'll probably have to order a large amount to facilitate this I was curious if anyone here would be interested in getting some if I did. I'm curious if there's demand out there among Sega fans, or if I'm an anomaly.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:44 am
I, for one, would be very much interested in this.

I have a full set of PAL Sega Card releases, but some of the boxes are in bad shape, especially the clear plastic behind which you put the cover sheet. It would also be nice to finally put the loose Hang On card that came with my original SMS in its own box.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:05 am
There are these cases. Holds 6 cards.
s-l400.jpg (21.42 KB)
Card holder
s-l400.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:29 am
Owazrim wrote
There are these cases. Holds 6 cards.

Yeah, I've seen those around. They're neat, but I really want to keep my games in neat plastic cases with artwork in the sleeves, alongside my American games.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:00 pm
More than a decade ago, I bought some cases that were used for Xbox MsPoints cards in bulk and they were perfect for the Hucards and Sega Cards I had laying around. They are DVD sized.

I'm sure than you can find/buy them in bulk from places like aliexpress or somewhere else.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:30 am
Akomander wrote
More than a decade ago, I bought some cases that were used for Xbox MsPoints cards in bulk and they were perfect for the Hucards and Sega Cards I had laying around. They are DVD sized.

I'm sure than you can find/buy them in bulk from places like aliexpress or somewhere else.

Yeah, I've found lots of cases that are "close" online but I want replicas of the original cases so that they line up nicely with my collection of American games. I'm really focused on it. That's why I'm willing to go so far as to just order a huge batch and have them made.

I'm sure one of the companies on Alibaba that's already in the business of manufacturing Sega game cases probably wouldn't have much difficulty modifying the cases they're already producing to have slightly thinner dimensions and be suitable for a Sega card.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:09 am
The King of the Mods wrote
I was curious if anyone here would be interested in getting some if I did.

Oh yes please,
I’m definitely interested, keep me on the loop.To be honest, it does depend on the final price. I’m afraid it could be very high per unit. If not, I’d want at the very least 15-30.

Do you intend on having the exact same measurements of the Sega Card cases?? That is, same size of SMS boxes but half the width, and card holder protrusions that only work well with the plastic sleeve. See photos↓

If yes (I need to double check but) I might be interested in much more than 30. Because it should very nicely fit carts for the Game Gear, my main Sega system.
The Sega Card case My Hero.jpg (304.33 KB)
Source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125713666225
The Sega Card case My Hero.jpg
The Sega Card case Ghost House with plastic sleeve.jpg (215.34 KB)
Source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403514117282
The Sega Card case Ghost House with plastic sleeve.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:14 am
Akomander wrote
cases that were used for Xbox MsPoints cards in bulk and they were perfect for the Hucards and Sega Cards I had laying around. They are DVD sized.

Yeah, I've found lots of cases that are "close" online

Would you (both) have a store link or specific product name or photo? I’m always interested in seeing the alternatives.

I understand this is the box Akomander mentions, I just wonder if there's someplace to get it from, I couldn't find it on Aliexpress.

Microsoft Points DVD sized case, Xbox green.jpg (340.11 KB)
Source: Just found 800 Microsoft Points https://i.redd.it/pym2xb1t17ea1.jpg
Microsoft Points DVD sized case, Xbox green.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:56 pm
I have a friend who makes custom acrylic cases for TCG. Would there be interest in having these done for the Sega Cards?
Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:39 pm
Appreciate the offer, but could you pls post 1-2 photos of existing cases?

When I hear acrylic cases I think, protection for cardboard cases. Do you mean a small acrylic case just for the card? No manual, no cover.
3A7CDF87-541C-46B9-B679-E33A9BD55BE3.jpeg (87.55 KB)
https://www.kadenken.com/view/ item/000000001271
3A7CDF87-541C-46B9-B679-E33A9BD55BE3.jpeg

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:01 am
Jair wrote
I was curious if anyone here would be interested in getting some if I did.

Oh yes please,
I’m definitely interested, keep me on the loop.To be honest, it does depend on the final price. I’m afraid it could be very high per unit. If not, I’d want at the very least 15-30.

Do you intend on having the exact same measurements of the Sega Card cases?? That is, same size of SMS boxes but half the width, and card holder protrusions that only work well with the plastic sleeve. See photos↓

If yes (I need to double check but) I might be interested in much more than 30. Because it should very nicely fit carts for the Game Gear, my main Sega system.

My intention is to manufacture a new batch of cases that virtually exactly match the original card cases. Not so close that I could pass them off as original cases to unsuspecting buyers on eBay, but close enough that they'll be indistinguishable on my shelf next to an American Sega Card game. My goal is to make them to pretty much the exact same specifications, although I am considering adding a second manual "hook" on one side so that the cases would also be capable of holding the smaller-sized Japanese MyCard manuals.

I should point out that it is quite easy to find replacement card sleeves for card games, somewhat ironically.

I should point out that if you're not terribly picky, there are manufacturers out there that make cases the will hold Sega cards, they're just not terribly accurate to the original.

https://www.customgamecases.com/online-store/Blank-Cases-c13253523

https://stoneagegamer.com/more/games/game-cases-protectors/
Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:29 pm
My intention is to manufacture a new batch of cases that virtually exactly match the original card cases.

Sounds great to me! Then how much it will cost to have them done is my only concern.

I think manufacturing exact copies but taking out the Sega logo above the Sega Card could be good. Or putting the SMS POWER! logo in its place, two birds with one stone: both more obvious and stylish than a blank box.

The extra "hook" for Japanese manuals is genius, I just wonder where to fit it. I use plastic bags the size of Western SMS manuals to put the Japanese manuals inside Western boxes. The way they really fit is when I store them together with the US or Euro manual, not on their own.

The Bit Boxes and Custom Game Cases are a good effort, but... Anyway, their cases cost 10$+ per unit when you factor in int'l shipping, even buying in bulk. Pretty sure that if you manufacture your Sega Card boxes in China, it would be very cheap to send just a few dozens here to Japan.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:18 pm
Jair wrote
Appreciate the offer, but could you pls post 1-2 photos of existing cases?

When I hear acrylic cases I think, protection for cardboard cases. Do you mean a small acrylic case just for the card? No manual, no cover.

Just for the card, yes. I'll bring one my cards over to his house and see if his existing cases fit. He makes them for a variety of TCG, but might fit OK for display if that's what you're interested in.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:29 am
Thanks Maraakate, I personally would not be interested. I'm looking for cases with cover and manual space.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!