Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Segaiden: Master System

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Segaiden: Master System
Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:42 pm
It has arrived!

Jeremy Parish will work through the US SMS library up to the end of 1988 and then will proceed more slowly in tandem with other enormous chronological projects.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:02 pm
Dang! I was thinking on doing something similar... I guess I'm late to the party :)

Maybe I should focus on doing something related to Spanish release dates, but they're very hard to crack down...
Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:09 am
Really enjoyed this one
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:22 am

It's interesting to hear such positive reviews in comparison to NES games, the stereotype tends to go the other way. Placing it in context of the games available at the time is super interesting. I'd never realised Fantasy Zone's shops were so ground-breaking.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:35 am

Some hate on My Hero here. I think it’s fair though, I didn’t realise the arcade version was so much nicer. Choplifter’s parallax seems to be far beyond the contemporary home systems, it must have seemed amazingly arcade-like at the time.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:32 am
Maxim wrote
It has arrived!

Jeremy Parish will work through the US SMS library up to the end of 1988 and then will proceed more slowly in tandem with other enormous chronological projects.

I enjoyed it. Great share Maxim mate.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:56 pm
My Hero is one of a few games that I felt like could have been almost arcade-perfect if they'd budgeted for a mega cartridge release rather than a Sega Card. On the other hand, I never once actually saw the arcade game (except for decades later, in MAME). I really enjoy the manic energy of the SMS version... it is extremely difficult, but still feels fun.

Regarding Teddy Boy, I just love its crazy fast pace, infinitely wrapping screen, and smooth scrolling in all directions. I don't understand how infinitely wrapping backgrounds work. But it makes me wonder, if they were able to do smooth scrolling in all directions in 1986, why did we have choppy vertical scrolling in games like Out Run and Shinobi in '87 and '88?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:36 am
Smooth scrolling and wrapping around is actually the default on SMS. Shinobi is choppy scrolling vertically because adding the status bar defeats the smooth vertical scrolling ability.

Sad to not see a full two player setup of F16, I wonder if anyone ever did it?

It’s interesting to understand both how Transbot is another ruined version of a better game, and that it doesn’t actually loop forever.

World Grand Prix is certainly tough and just not as enjoyable as Out Run, but it is in that early set of games where they didn’t consider dropping below 60fps which I think somehow became more and more acceptable until recent attempts to push frame rates up.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:47 am
I'm all about setting up mulitplayer setups, but f16 is just not that interesting. But I do wonder what it would be like. If there is ever a Master System meet/convention it should be there!
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:30 pm
Maxim wrote
It’s interesting to understand both how Transbot is another ruined version of a better game, and that it doesn’t actually loop forever.

It doesn’t? How and where does it end then?

I already knew about the actions required to enter the underground base, but after finishing the sub level, you just return to the surface again. The enemy formations you get differ slightly from those that appear after a while if you just stay above ground all the time, but that’s about it.

Also, the game just takes the tiniest bit of inspiration from Astro Flash arcade. I really wouldn’t count it as an attempted port of the arcade game, ruined or otherwise.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:56 pm
Well, then I should say it doesn’t loop forever on the first stage. It’s quite obtuse to get underground :)
Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:09 am
https://youtu.be/-StNKw1mxuo

Beyond our Ken: Action Fighter & Black Belt | Segaiden #034
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!