Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Cool the Genesis had piracy...

Reply to topic
P-Strife
Cool the Genesis had piracy...
Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 1999 4:03 pm
Since this is a Sega related type board I thought this would be the best place to bring it up.
Anyway apparently the Sega Genesis had piracy occuring and now I actually own proof. Anyway the cart I own is Shadow Dancer and it dosn't have a standard sega look to it(has a picture of Shinobi and his wolf on front). Anyway the Sega logo when it should come up turns into this square blue thing with lines going accross. Also when the Start screen shows up it has no Sega copyright which proves it's a pirated cart. Also I had trouble with this cart at first since it wasn't working at all and I was forced to open it up, it had been already open by the look of it since it had no screws on the back, anyway I rearranged the inside board(the boards are small!!!) and fixed the problem.

Now does anyone else know of the existance of piracy on the Genesis?

The Sky Baby
Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 1999 5:11 pm
> Since this is a Sega related type board I thought this would be the best place to bring it up.
> Anyway apparently the Sega Genesis had piracy occuring and now I actually own proof. Anyway the cart I own is Shadow Dancer and it dosn't have a standard sega look to it(has a picture of Shinobi and his wolf on front). Anyway the Sega logo when it should come up turns into this square blue thing with lines going accross. Also when the Start screen shows up it has no Sega copyright which proves it's a pirated cart. Also I had trouble with this cart at first since it wasn't working at all and I was forced to open it up, it had been already open by the look of it since it had no screws on the back, anyway I rearranged the inside board(the boards are small!!!) and fixed the problem.

> Now does anyone else know of the existance of piracy on the Genesis?

I have a few roms that have Censor (I assume a warez group) logos at the start and also a few with trainers on them so I assume the warez scene was very strong with the Genesis/MegaDrive

I know it was also big on the SNES but for older systems I am not sure - apart from the Tec Toy Stuph (ok not real warez but near enough)

Sardius
The Genesis had lots of unlicensed carts, too...
Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 1999 5:22 pm
I remember seeing some at a Kay-Bee store once. There was a game (can't remember the name, had balloons on the front of the box) which I had never heard of before, and on the back of the box, there were warnings like "not under license by Sega of America" or "not endorsed by Sega" or something like that. I don't think they have been dumped, either. They were only $20, too. I should have bought them when I had the chance.

And don't forget about Wisdom Tree! They made some games for the Genny, as well. I've never actually seen any, though. I wonder what Spiritual Warfare would look like in 16-bit?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 1999 6:29 pm
> I know it was also big on the SNES but for older systems I am not sure - apart from the Tec Toy Stuph (ok not real warez but near enough)

Tectoy dont make piracy! Tectoy is Sega's representant here in Brazil, its like a "Sega Brasil"
The Sky Baby
Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 1999 6:45 pm
> > I know it was also big on the SNES but for older systems I am not sure - apart from the Tec Toy Stuph (ok not real warez but near enough)

> Tectoy dont make piracy! Tectoy is Sega's representant here in Brazil, its like a "Sega Brasil"

Well I had not researched the company but all they are doing are hacking the carts and replacing the graphics in most cases

though Street Fighter 2' was good

I did not actually accuse them of piracy I was just jooking on the fact they remake old games..

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 1999 1:11 am
> > Tectoy dont make piracy! Tectoy is Sega's representant here in Brazil, its like a "Sega Brasil"

> Well I had not researched the company but all they are doing are hacking the carts and replacing the graphics in most cases

> though Street Fighter 2' was good

> I did not actually accuse them of piracy I was just jooking on the fact they remake old games..

hum...search for Duke nukem 3d and Pica Pau (both for genesis), they are made by tectoy too. hum..and there is Sitio do Pica Pau amarelo for sms!
adam
Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 1999 1:49 am
The Genesis also has Action 52, which is also released for the NES. I have a copy and it is only slightly better than the NES version.

The Sky Baby
Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 1999 3:25 am
> hum...search for Duke nukem 3d and Pica Pau (both for genesis), they are made by tectoy too. hum..and there is Sitio do Pica Pau amarelo for sms!

Yeah pity Duke Nukem '3d was absolute sh*te - well I suppose I think that seeing as I _LOVE_ Quake 1/2/3 - though I did like the PC version, I thought the Genesis version was bad - it just can't cope with the 3D well enough - the only realy good 3D game on the Genesis was Hard Drivin'

I'll look up Pica Pau though...I'm sure its been dumped

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!