Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - How to convert graphics for devkitSMS?

Reply to topic
How to convert graphics for devkitSMS?
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:28 pm
hey guys, first ever post here, so anyways i was wondering is there any way to convert graphics so that i can use them in devkitSMS? if so is there any programs that can do it for me?
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:08 pm
Welcome!

You're effectively looking at a two-step process:

1) Convert bitmap images to raw palette and tile data. Probably the best tool for this is Maxim's bmp2tile tool, assuming you are running a Windows environment.

Here: https://github.com/maxim-zhao/bmp2tile

This can compress the data as well as generate the necessary binary formats.

2) Convert the raw binary assets to a form that devkitsms can use to build it into an SMS binary pack. DevkitSMS has a built in tool called assets2banks which is optimised for this.

https://github.com/sverx/devkitSMS/blob/master/assets2banks/README.md

I'm currently working on a template devkitsms project including a Makefile with asset building pipeline but it's very much a work in progress and it doesn't yet tie in with bmp2tile as my toolchain is in Linux (it uses a very basic Python script instead), but if you are familiar with GNU make and / or are interested in using my Docker tool chain you can have a look, here: https://github.com/retcon85/template-sms-devkitsms
Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:30 am
why thank you, your 2 step process worked! but now i am going to work on figuring out how to include the converted graphics into my c code tomorrow.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:46 am
you can use assets2banks from the devkit, it creates header file(s) for your assets and C (or object) files to link to your ROM. Check it out here.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:47 pm
okay i already converted the graphics to a c header file but now i want to display that background i converted onto real hardware. is there any way i can do that?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:57 am
ProgramingFreak2004 wrote
okay i already converted the graphics to a c header file but now i want to display that background i converted onto real hardware. is there any way i can do that?

You will need a flashcart as a minimum to transfer the program you wrote onto real hardware. Real hardware can be time consuming to debug if needs be if maybe you are a beginner at this. It's something I'd usually do if I was near to finishing my game .
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:20 am
ProgramingFreak2004 wrote

check the wiki and also this (old) tutorial could be of use...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!