SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear Tantalum Capacitors

Reply to topic
Game Gear Tantalum Capacitors
Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:30 am
Hey Folks;

I'm looking for some help in translating these Electrolytic Capacitor values on Console 5 over to recommended SMD Tantalum Values;

C1 33uF 6.3V
C3 10uF 6.3V
C6 10uF 6.3V
C31 100uF 6.3V
C35 4.7uF 35V
C37 68uF 6.3V
C39 100uF 4V
C44 0.47uF 50V
C45 0.47uF 50V
C48 10uF 6.3V
C49 22uF 6.3V

I'm really struggling on the 50v values, mainly due to advise on Tantalum de-rating values, seems like you need to at least add 25%-35% on top of the voltage to account for de-rating. Only problem is I've not seen Tantalum higher than 50v

Is this fact correct? Do i need to worry about it? If not can anyone help in recommended values for Tantalum Capacitors?

Thanks,
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:46 am
Not always going to tantalum is better. You should consider the function of the capacitor. For instance, a decoupling cap could be easily replaced by a ceramic capacitor. And the voltage used in the electrolytic cap is not necessarily the voltage required. You should check the service manual and derive what is the maximum voltage on that rail.

If you do not want to go down this route, I would just suggest to use tantalum for the low voltage ones, and keep electrolytic caps for high voltage ones.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:09 am
kamillebidan wrote
Not always going to tantalum is better. You should consider the function of the capacitor. For instance, a decoupling cap could be easily replaced by a ceramic capacitor. And the voltage used in the electrolytic cap is not necessarily the voltage required. You should check the service manual and derive what is the maximum voltage on that rail.

If you do not want to go down this route, I would just suggest to use tantalum for the low voltage ones, and keep electrolytic caps for high voltage ones.

Yeah fully agree with this - @stuartevensuk why tantalum?
You can get SMD ceramic (MLCC) caps in huge capacitance values now, so as kamillebidan says, for low voltage ratings just use ceramics.

Tants can be smaller than the equivalent electrolytic, and have some preferential characteristics, but are *much* more expensive and they still don't last forever either. Unless you're replacing original tants with new ones, or know that I'd just stick to electrolytics as kamillebidan suggests.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!