Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Master System game shell for 3D printing

Reply to topic
Sega Master System game shell for 3D printing
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:17 pm
Last edited by MrSVCD on Sat May 23, 2020 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
-- Latest version here --

I designed a simple Sega Master System game shell for 3D printing.
The shell fits Sega 28 and 32-pin single IC pcb and is designed to be easily printable.
(Scans of the target pcb https://www.smspower.org/forums/17935-OfficialSEGA28pinPcbScan )

I have provided STL files but if you want to compile the source to STL files your self, you will need OpenSCAD http://www.openscad.org/
And you will need 2 M3 screws, 10 to 15 mm long, to screw it together.

Sega Master System game shell for 3D printing by Pär Moberg is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0
Sega Master System game shell R1.zip (42.74 KB)
Release 1

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:26 pm
Beta 1
First public beta.

Beta 1.1
When I copied over the pcb holder from the front to the back, I forgot to change the height of them.

Release 1, Beta 1.2
Fixed some details, I find this version to work well and is easy to print.

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:35 pm
I printed mine with the default settings in Prusa Slicer for my MK3.
Layer height was 0.3mm (Draft), in PETG and no supports since I designed it to not need it.
Currently it takes less than 3 hours to print a complete shell (2h40m according to the software)

Pictures of my print and I used my Columns pcb to show it of.
IMG5.jpg (33.51 KB)
IMG5.jpg
IMG4.jpg (153.86 KB)
IMG4.jpg
IMG3.jpg (159.76 KB)
IMG3.jpg
IMG2.jpg (221.03 KB)
IMG2.jpg
IMG1.jpg (181.31 KB)
IMG1.jpg

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:44 pm
It looks good I was thinking about doing this as well but using an SLA 3D printer The layer lines would be non-existent and it would look fantastic.
Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:46 am
Yes, SLA would make it look better but I am not that enthusiastic about the cemicals/liquids needed for SLA.

Black makes the layers more visible and the layers are extra thick to save about an hour on the print time. If I had printed them in white it would have not been that visible.
Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:25 am
MrSVCD wrote
Yes, SLA would make it look better but I am not that enthusiastic about the cemicals/liquids needed for SLA.

Black makes the layers more visible and the layers are extra thick to save about an hour on the print time. If I had printed them in white it would have not been that visible.

My personal thoughts on it were to make resin molds to make them little by little.
SMS Shell R2
Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:55 pm
Last edited by MrSVCD on Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
So I have made a new version of my SMS game shell.

It now uses two countersunk wood screws (3.6x16mm) for putting the two parts together rather than two M3.

I hope to release a version R2.1 that mages the same shell but is better programmed so it uses a config file for easier modification, for example to change screw design etc. but don't hold your breath for that since I am really happy with the current design.

It is still under CC BY-SA 4.0
SMS_Shell_R2.zip (62.78 KB)

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:57 pm
Here are the pictures of my print. Layer height of 0.3 mm, nozzle 0.4 mm and the material is PETG.
Back outside.jpg (338.66 KB)
Back outside.jpg
bottom.jpg (226.67 KB)
bottom.jpg
front inside.jpg (252.09 KB)
front inside.jpg
Front outside.jpg (572.95 KB)
Front outside.jpg
open with pcb.jpg (339.82 KB)
open with pcb.jpg
side.jpg (244.47 KB)
side.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:28 pm
I've made a couple of edits to this file because I was printing a couple for someone. Unfortunately, they're edits in the STL, not the OpenSCAD files for now, but they should work okay all the same until I can update the source.

Basically, we've just added the little groove greebles that the front of the SMS cart has, and I've added a slight recess to the top for a wraparound cartridge label, though unfortunately this can't be carried around to the front edge unless you're going to print it upside down with supports.

We also found that the posts that hold the cartridge PCB in place were a [bit] tight, so I've undersized them by ~0.1mm, which seems like it's just enough that the PCB pops in and out comfortably, but stays in place.

Cart still gets fastened together with two #4 x 1/2" countersunk wood screws.

Bottom right one has the edits, printed on a Voron Trident, 0.2mm layer height, 0.4mm nozzle. This one is Polymaker Natural ASA, but it should print fine in whatever material, since there's barely any overhang or bridging.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!