Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Did any games take full advantage of the FM sound module?

Reply to topic
Did any games take full advantage of the FM sound module?
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:54 am
I read somewhere that the FM Sound Module has 9 channels, but when I have heard games that use the FM sound, it seems like they're only using 4 of the channels. Is there any games or even any music that takes advantage or really pushes the FM sound?
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:10 am
The FM chip has two modes it can operate in, one using all nine channels, the other one using six channels plus percussion.

As far as I know, all commercially released Master System games use the six channel mode. There’s homebrew stuff that uses the nine channel mode, though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:21 am
Most games use fewer than 6 channels in percussion mode too - not least because it’s more work to write a 6-channel melody in addition to a 3-channel PSG tune, plus there’s not really space on the cartridge to store two soundtracks so the data is often shared between them. Often the extra FM channels are used as duplicates of the main three to add a little extra effect or even for a reverb effect.

I’d refer to the Japanese BIOS Space Harrier tune as an example of making pretty full use of the chip. However in modern times people are learning more advanced tricks like switching instrument mid-note to get more out of the chip than anyone did in the 1980s.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:34 am
Maxim wrote
Most games use fewer than 6 channels in percussion mode too - not least because it’s more work to write a 6-channel melody in addition to a 3-channel PSG tune, plus there’s not really space on the cartridge to store two soundtracks so the data is often shared between them. Often the extra FM channels are used as duplicates of the main three to add a little extra effect or even for a reverb effect.

I’d refer to the Japanese BIOS Space Harrier tune as an example of making pretty full use of the chip. However in modern times people are learning more advanced tricks like switching instrument mid-note to get more out of the chip than anyone did in the 1980s.

I see, well you thank you for the very insightful reply. Do you know if anyone makes demos using all the channels?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!