Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wrong SMS Test Suite results with Megadrive pads

Reply to topic
Wrong SMS Test Suite results with Megadrive pads
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:34 pm
*ADMIN-EDIT* Split posts into a new topic and away from https://www.smspower.org/forums/19162-NewHangOnSafariHuntBIOSVariant

segarule wrote
When i press start the test suite exist from Controller test and back to main menu. Well, in fact the controller is a special 6 button controller labelled "Master System " on it made by Tec Toy. But the test dont work with all button also in my Chinese MD controller.

The pad test exits when there's no button pressed/released for 3 seconds, there is no way a button forces it back to main menu - please test this again. I'm very interested in the fact that even a MD controller doesn't work - so my suspicion here is that the console doesn't work properly. But if you can instead find any game/hack that correctly uses the MD controller then it means there's a bug in my code, and I'd like to address that, in this case.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:38 pm
The pad test exits when there's no button pressed/released for 3 seconds, there is no way a button forces it back to main menu - please test this again. I'm very interested in the fact that even a MD controller doesn't work - so my suspicion here is that the console doesn't work properly. But if you can instead find any game/hack that correctly uses the MD controller then it means there's a bug in my code, and I'd like to address that, in this case.

Well, i have an other SMS with Alex Kidd built in. I performed the test again and show me the same results. So i suspect that or my 2 6 buttons controllers are with problems or my 2 SMSes are with problems. Anyway i wll perform others tests and will report it.
EDIT: here again. The last chance for me was in use a new controller that i was keeping. With it everything works. Your test suite show all buttons pressed but Start only work with C pressed too. This behavior also was happened with GP Rider (GG) and Wonder Boy III with MD controller patch. Now i dont know if this (Start+C) is something with SMS or with Chinese MD pad. Also i dont know why others 2 controllers dont worked considering that they works very well like a sms controller (B and C buttons). I think that i need test with Genesis console.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:57 pm
Well, at this point I start to suspect there's something wrong with my code, even if I didn't touch that at all. I'll see if I can do some tests on hardware myself - in the meantime you can perform a few tests with some previous version of the test suite to see if it makes some difference. Version 0.32 was released more than 2 years ago so it could be a good try.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:55 pm
sverx wrote
Well, at this point I start to suspect there's something wrong with my code, even if I didn't touch that at all. I'll see if I can do some tests on hardware myself - in the meantime you can perform a few tests with some previous version of the test suite to see if it makes some difference. Version 0.32 was released more than 2 years ago so it could be a good try.

I dont think that o problem is with your code. Look, i tested 3 controllers, only the one new worked. The old controllers dont worked with 2 hacked games (GP Rider and Wonderboy 3). So, dont seems to me that is SMS suite with problems. My question is about the Start button only work with C pressed both in 3 roms tested (SMS Suite, GP Rider and WB3 hack).
An why those used dont worked with others codes (GP Rider, WB3 and SMS test suite) if work with buttons B and C.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:47 am
Hard for me to tell why the Start button works only if C is pressed on your setup, but it likely has something to do with the fact that lines are multiplexed on MegaDrive pads and the Start button is sharing the same line with the C button (see here).

B and C buttons map to SMS's buttons 1 and 2 so if those didn't work you wouldn't be able to play SMS games properly.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:53 am
Recently i found a forum where is reported what the SMS gamepad even with 6 buttons only works 2 buttons, Maybe some teste dont worked to me for this reason. However i also have a 6 buttons gamepad for Genesis.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!