Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - New GGT demo

Reply to topic
New GGT demo
Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:23 pm
Hello

I've released a new GGT demo:

https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/GGTurrican-GG

Have fun and please tell me if you find any bugs :)

[Admin edit in far-future year 2021: link changed from http://www.smspower.org/ggt to https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/GGTurrican-GG. Note that this game will never be released!]
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:21 am
I know I have let you know on Efnet at #smspower :) but I must say that this is great. It is nice to see this high quality work still being done for such a fantastic platform. Great Job Martin!! Can't wait for furture releases.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:22 am
I played that for ages. Awsome game dude, keep up the good work.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:07 am
It's awesome, again. Keep up the good work.

The initialization of the game is polling to wait for a scanline that is not caught, being interrupted while the scanline pass. Thus it doesn't work in MEKA in default NTSC mode. It's difficult to say wether it is a fault in MEKA or in the game code, timing is involved and the scanline counter is a weird best.
It works in PAL/SECAM mode (although a real Game Gear isn't PAL/SECAM). Martin knows about that, he changed in-game code but apparently initialization still doing that for some reason.

Take care.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:24 pm
Wow! That's incredible great work again! ...continues to play Brilliant it is : ) Keep up da good work.

Could you drop me a line of some of the things that have been changed since the last version? Seems that there are a few...

Chris
Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:36 pm
It's bloody brilliant. way better than some other games on the sms/gg

and i haven't come across any bugs too. :)
Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:54 pm
I had a go at the new demo today and totally agree with the rest of the feedback in the thread. It really is bloody brilliant! This game could have made big bucks back in the days :)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:11 pm
This is really a great demo. Although the graphics are small, they are some of the best I've seen on the Game Gear. The music and level layout really reminds me of good ol' Turrican II.

Now, what I think this game really needs is a copper gradient for the background. ;-)

HOWEVER, I tried the game out on my Game Gear, and there was a major bug regarding sprites. I don't know if it's a problem with my flash cart or something... But anyway, as you play the game, garbage sprites really start to build up on-screen. It looks like you don't clear a sprite's data in RAM when it becomes inactive, or something. I'll attach some pics I took from my Japanese GG.

As you can see, Bren McGuire has two bodies (:-)) and even though there is only 1 power-up icon for the spread shot during the game, 3 sprites of that icon remain on the screen.
Anyway, good luck debugging.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:18 pm
You don't play as Bren McGuire ;)

I know about that problem. It seems that you have change both xn and y sprite data to change a sprite. Currently I'm only changing the y coord to delete old sprites.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:40 pm
Martin wrote
You don't play as Bren McGuire ;)

I know about that problem. It seems that you have change both xn and y sprite data to change a sprite. Currently I'm only changing the y coord to delete old sprites.

Whoa, that's something I never heard before. Do you know if it's just the Game Gear that requires you to update all the sprite info, or all the SMS-type VDP's?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:44 pm
Whoa, that's something I never heard before. Do you know if it's just the Game Gear that requires you to update all the sprite info, or all the SMS-type VDP's?

Yeah, it sounds odd. I have only a Game Gear to test this.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:44 pm
Martin wrote

I had a problem when trying to get GGT '05 working with SMSplusDC & SMEG - it doesn't display any sprites at all : (

For the DCEvolution.net DreamEmulation Project: Sega 8-bit Edition I included the previous GGT version from 2003 to the game selection as it runs flawless and moved the GGT '05 release to the /extra/source/ folders.

We're planning on updating the release soon with some more goodies thrown in, so I'd like to ask you to maybe recompile the current GGT release with that bug fixed so I could try if it works with SMSplusDC and add it to the game selection?!

Chris
Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:02 pm
I don't think it's the same bug.
Do these emulators support changing the vdp pointer with single port $BF writes (ie. only changing the lower 8 bits)?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:52 pm
Martin wrote
I don't think it's the same bug.
Do these emulators support changing the vdp pointer with single port $BF writes (ie. only changing the lower 8 bits)?

Smeg definately did not.

looking at SMSPlusDC's source now....

Nope, seems like it latches the first write to the vdp control port and then does nothing with the adress pointer until the second write.

There you go.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:24 am
Damn. Thank you anyway. One more thing to add to a 'ToDo List' regarding future SMSplusDC updates...

The game rocks. I planned to include both versions of GGT - I still don't know the differences - The stages seem to be completly different : )
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:34 am
Christuserloeser wrote
Damn. Thank you anyway. One more thing to add to a 'ToDo List' regarding future SMSplusDC updates...

The game rocks. I planned to include both versions of GGT - I still don't know the differences - The stages seem to be completly different : )

Shoot, wish I had know about the bug - it would have been a one or two line patch to fix it.

I wonder if all VDP's support that behavior, or just the GG's --- I'm sure it's been documented by Charles MAc Donald, I'll have to look that up and/or test it on a real SMS1.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:52 am
Heliophobe wrote
I wonder if all VDP's support that behavior, or just the GG's --- I'm sure it's been documented by Charles MAc Donald, I'll have to look that up and/or test it on a real SMS1.

The 315-5124 VDP (MarkIII and most SMS1) do not support that. Version above does. Cosmic Spacehead requires it, hence doesn't work on most SMS1.

I think.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:15 am
hey martin,
I bet you are waiting some graphics....
Sorry that became shitty long....
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:57 pm
Bock wrote
Heliophobe wrote

The 315-5124 VDP (MarkIII and most SMS1) do not support that. Version above does. Cosmic Spacehead requires it, hence doesn't work on most SMS1.

I think.

Is that what was going on with Cosmic Spacehead? Pascal and I were trying to figure that one out....
Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:27 pm
I'm not so keen on necrobumping, but I had a few questions someone here might be able to answer.

-Smart bomb: how do you perform it?

-Version 0.9 is hosted here I see there's a 1.0 version on the net. Anyone knows the differences?

-And...yes...this game/project really deserves more attention...I was so impressed by what was included and how playable it is.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:06 pm
Hi and thank you!
For the "smart line", press Up+Start.
The 0.9 demo is an old version of level 1-2, the 1.0 is a newer version of level 1-1.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:56 pm
Ahh, thank you! Again: I was REALLY impressed. Amazing project. Just a shame it has some artifacts when I play it via Everdrive on my GameGear.
Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:59 am
Martin wrote
Hello

I've released a new GGT demo:

https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/GGTurrican-GG

Have fun and please tell me if you find any bugs :)

[Admin edit in far-future year 2021: link changed from http://www.smspower.org/ggt to https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/GGTurrican-GG. Note that this game will never be released!]

I dont knew about this demo. Nice! Good graphics, fluid gameplay.
Would have the possibility in you port it for SMS?
Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:31 am
There are videos on YT of how it looks as a SMS version. You can see how objects are clipped out early, and you can't change that because calculations are in 8 bit, which is not enough for the bigger SMS screen size. Changing that would require a complete rewrite, which of course is not going to happen.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!