SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - WONDER BOY: THE MOVIE

Reply to topic
Robert
WONDER BOY: THE MOVIE
Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:11 am
I thought this would interest you as it covers film/video game news and Uwe Boll, who for better or worse is always news.

It seems Uwe Boll was all set to make a film based on the golden age Sega video game series Wonder Boy, with a script written by Robin Morningstar (Russian one presumes) and apparently with some bird Caitlin Stasey from Neighbours due to be in it. Until Sega for better or worse put the skids on.

I think it's for worse as I've read the script and it rips the balls of things like the script for Castelvania and Mortal Kombat and bats them out of the park in a bloody mess.

This was covered in some detail in issue 51 of national UK magazine Retro Gamer and even now is still being discussed in their website forums, and many other video game society forums over the net, including the biggest Wonder Boy fansite.

Far more interesting is that not only is the script online but so is a petition which has signatures from (no surprise) Uwe Boll, Robin Morningstar, Caitlin Stasey...and among others Scout Taylor Compton from Rob Zombie's Halloween, and horror guru Anthony Masi! That has to give kudos.

It shows up in various forums on google.

Now to be honest, I always thought Wonder Boy was a blonde kid with a stone hammer, I never knew he had been reinvented for a dozen sequels as a sword and sorcery figure (quasi-Zelda rip off), so when I read the script I thought "great script, nothing to do with Wonder Boy though." Then I looked up the games on emulators and it kind of felt like playing low tech games licenses of a movie that hasn't been made, except in the head of the people who have read it.

This script should get made. Don't take my word for it, have a looksie.

One less Paul Thomas Anderson and one more Robin Morningstar writing video game adaptations would be such a good thing.

Even if the price is another Uwe Boll movie.

ROBERT

mattmess
Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:48 pm
What's the point in use Wonder Boy name if the movie doesn't have anything in common with the game?

And an Uwe Boll movie will always be an Uwe Boll movie, doens't matter who is the writer.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:21 pm
Where exactly is this information coming from that Herr Dr. Uwe Boll is involved in this? The only thing which seems to be real about this is that there is a script (because you can download it) :)
Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:49 am
The Petition is here
http://www.petitiononline.com/wbscript/petition.html

The Script is here
http://www.geocities.com/wb3_mp3/WonderBoyTheMovie.pdf
Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:00 am
Last edited by thatawesomeguy on Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Forgive the thread necromancy, I just found a copy of the script while going through my archives and the above link is dead so I've attached it here.

Apparently, the movie was never made but they instead did an animated version you can watch in full glory here:

WonderBoyTheMovie.pdf (273.47 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:28 am
An... entire animatic?! Wow. O_o"
Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:16 pm
Let's all take a moment to thank the Lord that this never happened.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!