Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic Genesis for Master System v1.05

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:59 pm
http://info.sonicretro.org/Aspect_Edit
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:28 pm
slogra wrote
I only discovered Sonic 2 LD recently, while i was well underway with my own Sonic Genesis hack.
I absolutely love LD, it is very well done. Too bad no additional zones were added besides Emerald Hill. How were the level made? There is no level editor, right?

There was one made specifically for that hack, it's linked above by Tom, you use it with a disassembled rom. As far as I remember It only edits layouts, not objects and Loops are hard coded to certain levels, moving the graphic for the loop doesn't move the logic so they are pretty fixed.
Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:39 pm
KeyperOS wrote
This might be a bit premature but, have you tried to see if your mod is compatible with the FM-music mod?

I tested here with the FM sound patch playing until the third stage and everything worked normally, but the songs are the same as in the normal game (with FM).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:59 am
The FM music mod should be compatible (except for the checksum) because it is isolated to the music engine. This may change in the future if I add music editing to the editor.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:13 am
The "final" release v1.04 is here!

You can find it in the first post of this topic.
https://www.smspower.org/forums/18542

Not too much has changed since 1.03 beta. The biggest changes are the Robotnik sprite and the ending music. Besides that a lot of very small tweaks.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:55 am
slogra wrote
The "final" release v1.04 is here!

You can find it in the first post of this topic.
https://www.smspower.org/forums/18542

Not too much has changed since 1.03 beta. The biggest changes are the Robotnik sprite and the ending music. Besides that a lot of very small tweaks.

Congratulations Slogra! It was just amazing!
Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:50 am
Good news everybody! Physical copies can be preordered now.
Please contact Révo for more information: mmmrevolution@gmail.com

Revo's promotion movie (you gotta watch this):
sonic_genesis_box.jpg (446.2 KB)
sonic_genesis_box.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:59 am
Haha, fantastic! How can anyone resist a grown man in a blue hedgehog costume - what salesmanship!
Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:41 am
I just finished it and it is great, congrats! Only thing I found odd is that after you get hit, the time you're invincible seems shorter than on the original. Was it changed?
Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:04 pm
It was not changed intentionally. I just compared and to me it seems the same.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:25 pm
It’s a good idea to make it editable though…
Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:33 am
Interesting, there are spikes in labyrinth zone that I was not able to get out after the first hit, that's I thought it was changed.
panoramhusky
Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:37 pm
Hey, I'm new here and made an account to post about this hack. I think it's great! However, I noticed Sonic's sprites are stretched when viewed on a standard TV. I decided to go back and resize the sprites properly with the stretched resolution in mind and got these. You can keep the sprites the way they are if you want, but maybe consider this as no sprites get cut off by the tile bounds.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:31 pm
Hey, congrats for finishing the mod!

One thing I noticed is that when playing in an emulator, it appears that the game intro is a bit stretched unless a 4:3 aspect ration is force-selected.

I compared it with the older Sonic Genesis v1.03 beta5.3.ips and that one has the "correct" aspect ratio (please see attachments).

As far as I can tell, the in-game aspect ratio is unaffected.

Also, just as an FYI, I tried to do the same "FM Music+Genesis" mod combo and while it works just fine AFAICT, there is a strange artifact that appears a couple seconds after the intro starts, when the "PRESS BUTTON" message would normally start flashing (see screenshot).

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:32 am
I made the title graphics as big as possible. This dimension of the image fitted best. It compensates for the aspect ratio a little bit.

The screen is heavily optimized to get the most out of the limited number of tiles.
Redoing the screen is a lot of work, and the result will be a smaller image, which was not my intention in the first place.

V1.03 uses the dimensions of the original game. The tilemap is the same, only the tiles were swapped by new ones. It is smaller, and that is only correct in pal.
So your "correct" 4:3 ntsc screenshot of v1.03 is not a perfect circle either, it is too tall.

Most in-game graphics are direct copies of the Genesis/MD graphics. All graphics are based 8x8 pixels, or multiples like 16x16 and 32x32 etc. In other words: squares. Again i want graphics to be as big as possible and filled that space, and not make it smaller (thinner) to compesate the aspect ratio.

Anyway, aspect ratio is a huge pain i the a$$ so i did not consider it too much :).

I did not take any measured to make the game compatible with the FM mod. I'm amazed it works at all. The FM mod has a rewritten sound driver. Also the songs are rewritten in a different format (both fm and psg versions), which means that if you apply the FM mod you will not hear my versions of the songs as those are overwritten.
The gfx glitch is very unexpected and strange.

You can use the enhanced sound option in Dega to make psg sound more like fm.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:44 am
Good thing i used quotes around final last version, because v1.05 is the real final version. :)

Direct link: https://www.smspower.org/forums/download.php?id=22095

See also the first post of this topic.

- The title screen has been improved.
- Unfortunately the easter egg had to go to make space for the title screen graphics. So no need to search for it :)
- The Star Light music in the ending medley has been improved. It was missing THE most important high note.
- The Labyrinth lead "guitar" volume envelope is slightly more staccato now.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:10 am
Came here after seeing a side by side youtube video of your project versus the original. Amazing work mate!!!
Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:10 pm
Thanks Blake. I couldn't have done without the very helpful people on this forum.

I love to watch those (direct) comparison videos on youtube too!
Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:26 pm
I recorded a video a few weeks ago, too, and I wanted to upload it on Youtube, but I made a mistake in GHZ2, and so I'm not sure if I should upload it or not, which is sad because I really liked how it turned out for the most part :(
Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:38 pm
Obviously, this is amazing, and I came here to say that.

This could work so well in many other games, the terrible graphics in Ghouls and Ghosts come to mind!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:15 pm
Thanks from this great hack (beside I feel weird about Star Light/Sky Base zone) but.....
Someday I mixed your hack (1.05) with an hack from same game with FM sound and this cause an bug in title screen. I didn't know why this happen

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:17 pm
Yup, it has been mentioned before in this topic.
Besides that, the fm hack is not compatible with this hack because it play the original sms sonic tunes, not the ones of the Genesis hack.

Well, about Star Light. I could not swap levels, and i did not want to because the Star Base/Star Light levels are the most difficult and of course include the final boss.

Hope you still had fun playing this hack.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:49 pm
I decided to upload my gameplay video, and... it's not been easy, for some reason I couldn't get the audio to synchronise with the video (I'm not blaming you, of course, it was just Dega being stupid, the one and only emulator without proper vfw support), and it took me a good part of today to fix it. And the best part is that as soon as I uploaded it on Youtube, I was hit by the ever-present bogus copyright claim (two of them, in fact), so all my work to fix the audio might have been for nothing if I lose the disputes and I have to silence it anyway.

So, no, I don't have a link to share with you at this time, I just wanted to vent my frustration :(
Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:46 am
KeyperOS wrote
Hey, congrats for finishing the mod!

One thing I noticed is that when playing in an emulator, it appears that the game intro is a bit stretched unless a 4:3 aspect ration is force-selected.

I compared it with the older Sonic Genesis v1.03 beta5.3.ips and that one has the "correct" aspect ratio (please see attachments).

As far as I can tell, the in-game aspect ratio is unaffected.

Also, just as an FYI, I tried to do the same "FM Music+Genesis" mod combo and while it works just fine AFAICT, there is a strange artifact that appears a couple seconds after the intro starts, when the "PRESS BUTTON" message would normally start flashing (see screenshot).

Hey man, could you possibly release said FM Hack? i'd be interested in ripping the music for my collection of sonic music. would fit nicely alongside the regular sonic FM hack.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:54 am
Applying the FM hack to Sonic Genesis will not give you FM Genesis music, it will be the same as the FM hack alone.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:09 pm
Better late than never (the scammers who filed the bogus copyright claim didn't bother to respond to my dispute, so it was cleared after 30 days), here is my gameplay video of this fantastic hack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81OyhjNKNho

Too bad I made that stupid mistake in GHZ2.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:04 pm
I did not get any copyright claim in my videos.
Happy to see you were able to release it after all.
I like that roll at the end of jungle/spring yard act 1.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:47 am
I don't know the logic behind the automatic copyright claims, it probably depends on how many sound effects are played over the songs, to the point of making them unrecognizable by the algorithm. Still, that's not my point, I would absolutely respect the copyright claims if they were made by a legitimate party (e.g. Sega), but Youtube is filled with scammers who try to profit using other people's videos. Disputing them is tricky because Youtube doesn't care very much until you escalate the dispute two or three times, but at that point it basically becomes a legal process many people would rather not be involved with.

Sorry for this short derail, I'm just venting my frustration about Youtube.

I'm glad that you liked my video despite my mistake in GHZ2.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:43 pm
If you have a chance to work on it, would it be possible to change the location of sonic so that he is located more on the left side of the screen when running to the right, and that he is located more the right side of the screen when running to the left?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:01 pm
That’d be something of an engine hack which the editor doesn’t currently support. It may be possible though.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:34 pm
That's known as "CD camera" (because it was notably used in Sonic CD) or simply "extended camera" in the 16-bit games, and I sure hope it would be optional if it's ever implemented, because it's one of the most divisive features. Some people love it, other (like me) find it confusing.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:00 am
Bravo, slogra! what an incrediby cool hack. You put a ton of work into this and it shows. 8-bit Sonic done right :D
Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:34 pm
Slogra is the guy in terms of hack.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:19 pm
You know I only just got round to checking in on this project after noticing the initial stuff at the beginning and thinking it looked kind of interesting, but - wow - having watched and rewatched the playthrough, this whole thing is just phenomenal @slogra, I'm blown away by how much meticulous effort has gone into making this hack. Incroyable!
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!