Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Renaming Labels in Emulicious?

Reply to topic
Renaming Labels in Emulicious?
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:52 am
Hey all,

I've been wanting to analye some of the code from a couple of SMS games so see if can figure outhow certain portions of them work, so I was wondering if there was a way to edit label names in Emulicious? I tried looking into it, and I found that you can load in symb files and save the code directly from Emulicious, but I couldn't find a way to edit anything in there.

Perhaps it's not possible, but if it is I'd love to know how. And if it's not, what's the best way to go about saving comments and label name changes? Just doing it by hand in VIsual Studio Code or notepad?

Thanks
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:18 am
bofner wrote
Hey all,

I've been wanting to analye some of the code from a couple of SMS games so see if can figure outhow certain portions of them work, so I was wondering if there was a way to edit label names in Emulicious? I tried looking into it, and I found that you can load in symb files and save the code directly from Emulicious, but I couldn't find a way to edit anything in there.

Perhaps it's not possible, but if it is I'd love to know how. And if it's not, what's the best way to go about saving comments and label name changes? Just doing it by hand in VIsual Studio Code or notepad?

Thanks

Create a text file named the same as your rom but ending on .sym and place it right next to your rom. This ensures that Emulicious finds it. In Emulicious's debugger you should have the setting "Reload Symbols on file change" enabled.
Now you can simply modify the .sym file in your preferred text editor and start populating it with your symbols. Whenever you save, the disassembly gets updated. You can also put comments into your .sym file using a semicolon (;).
So for example
0003:8123 playSound ; requests the sound engine to start playing the song with the number specified in register a

When you leave out the symbol name, you can add a comment on an instruction. When you use a second semicolon, the comment goes onto its own line. And when you leave out the comment (i.e. just a semicolon) you get an empty line.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:44 pm
Calindro wrote

Now you can simply modify the .sym file in your preferred text editor and start populating it with your symbols. Whenever you save, the disassembly gets updated. You can also put comments into your .sym file using a semicolon (;).

Awesome! This is just what I was looking for! Thanks!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!