Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Correct pronunciation of Westone?

Reply to topic
Correct pronunciation of Westone?
Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:51 pm
I see a lot of disagreement online about how to say Westone. Is it Wes-tone? We-stone? West One?

Back in the day, I used to think it was wes-tone, but some years ago, something convinced me that it was actually west one, but now I can't seem to find any official source to back that up and I'm questioning everything I know.

Does anyone know for certain and have something to back up their claims?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:28 pm
I think the founders answered this in interviews, it’s “west” joined to “stone”.

Actually, Wikipedia cites us: https://www.smspower.org/forums/9823-MonsterWorldCompleteCollectionManualExtract...
Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:48 pm
Raccoon Lad wrote
I see a lot of disagreement online about how to say Westone. Is it Wes-tone? We-stone? West One?

Back in the day, I used to think it was wes-tone, but some years ago, something convinced me that it was actually west one, but now I can't seem to find any official source to back that up and I'm questioning everything I know.

Probably from the password "WE5T 0NE 0000 000", at least that's what I used to think it was back in the day.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:24 pm
Raccoon Lad wrote

In John Szczepaniak's The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers vol. 2, p. 173, Ryuichi Nishizawa says: "As you know, the company name Westone is a combination of "West," which is from my name Nishizawa, the Nishi part, and "stone" is the first character in [Michishito] Ishizuka-san's name."

A footnote also mentions that it was co-founded in 1986 as Escape, but they had second thoughts that "Escape" might imply unreliability, so the company name was changed to Westone in 1987.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!