Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Recca-a-like for SMS/Mark III...

Reply to topic
Recca-a-like for SMS/Mark III...
Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:33 pm

How do you think they're doing the static horizontal status bar with vertical scrolling? The old Spectrum trick of having 8 frames of each digit and cycling through them, or something else?
Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:37 am
Impressive. I never thought Recca was all that great a game, and more of a tech demo, but it’s nice to see it replicated (and even improved upon) on the Mark III.

But this is from the guy who coded GG Aleste 3, right? So it’s not totally unexpected he can pull this off.

SavagePencil wrote
How do you think they're doing the static horizontal status bar with vertical scrolling? The old Spectrum trick of having 8 frames of each digit and cycling through them, or something else?

Most likely it’s done by switching to a legacy graphics mode mid-frame. The colours used in the status bar suggest this, too. It breaks Mega Drive compatibility, but that’s probably not something a proof of concept needs to worry about.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:02 pm
Kagesan wrote
Impressive. I never thought Recca was all that great a game, and more of a tech demo, but it’s nice to see it replicated (and even improved upon) on the Mark III.

I believe the game was made for a gaming competition (that I presume had just enough of a production run so that could people could buy it before the event to practice, without a retail presence after. But I could well be wrong.). So it would probably be half right to say it probably wasn't made with the same design context as a standard video game.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:20 am
The game modes made for the competition, namely score attack and time attack, are fine, and those are completely separate. It’s the main game I find overambitious and underpolished. It may be just me, though. I know Recca has plenty of fans out there.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!