Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Losing input after repeated button press

Reply to topic
Losing input after repeated button press
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:10 pm
Hello, all. Lately, my Master System III Compact has been going through a strange phenomenum. Whenever I press a button repeatedly, and only when I do it very fast, the controller loses input for about half a minute, then it all returns to "normality". I've tried my games with different controllers, and the same thing happen to them all. Gauntlet and the sidewalk skating in California Games are the games in which this usually happens, but it sometimes happens with other games too. Since I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the controller itself, what else could it be? The controller connector? Some RAM related problem? A motherboard problem? What could be the cause?
Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:29 pm
Don't know much about the master system III, but the symptoms you describe - something that wears off over time - is likely indicative of either an overheating issue or some issue involving capacitance. Perhaps the III has some capacitors on the I/O port for debouncing or something and they are starting to fail. The caps are normally what goes first on older consoles.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:22 pm
willbritton wrote
Don't know much about the master system III, but the symptoms you describe - something that wears off over time - is likely indicative of either an overheating issue or some issue involving capacitance. Perhaps the III has some capacitors on the I/O port for debouncing or something and they are starting to fail. The caps are normally what goes first on older consoles.

Thanks for the info, Will. I don't have the guts to mess with soldering, but I think I'll have to do it sooner or later, huh?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!