SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SEGA YENO SC-3000H I need a little help

Reply to topic
SEGA YENO SC-3000H I need a little help
Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:07 pm
Hi All

I'm the proud owner of a SEGA YENO SC-3000H, that I bought over 4 years ago, but only just got around to testing.

First of all, were these only sold in Australia and New Zealand?
I'm in the UK, so I'm in a PAL region.

I have only 2 cartridges to try it with:
The first was sold as CHAMPION SOCCER SEGA SC-3000 Japan Import SG-1000 markIII NTSC-J, which works, but it looks like the green is missing from the video.

The second was sold as After Burner japan Sega Mark III 3 / SC-3000 SG-1000 master system game, which I only get a black screen and a shushing sound.

I'm using a cheap Sega to SCART cable, that I believe I bought for a Sega Master System II.

My questions are:
1. Do you think the missing green on the Soccer cart is because it's NTSC-J on a PAL TV or even the cheap video cable?
2. Should After Burner be working on this machine? It doesn't say SC3000 on the cart, it just says Master System III

Thanks for reading ;)
Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:31 pm
The Yeno ones were for France, they are RGB only so it's not a PAL/NTSC thing. It's probably an issue with the cable. After Burner is a Mark III/Master System game, it's not compatible with the SC-3000.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:30 am
BKK wrote
The Yeno ones were for France, they are RGB only so it's not a PAL/NTSC thing. It's probably an issue with the cable. After Burner is a Mark III/Master System game, it's not compatible with the SC-3000.

Thanks for the info, I'll check the cable today, maybe the green wire has come loose.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:27 am
BKK wrote
After Burner is a Mark III/Master System game, it's not compatible with the SC-3000.

That's a shame, because the seller sold it as SC-3000 compatible :(

Is there an easy way to check which games work on this system?
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:33 am
This should cover all of the official cartridge games. Note that the ones with codes beginning with "C" are card games which require the "Card Catcher" to use on an SC-3000.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:38 am
Thanks.

I'm going to start a new thread about the missing green in the video.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:18 pm
Sorry, another question, I know very little about Sega's :)

I watched a video on youtube that says this machine will run SMS carts, but they didn't give any details. I believe SMS carts will not physically fit, but I see you can buy adaptors. Would some SMS carts work with an adaptor?
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:39 pm
It's compatible with SG-1000 games, not Master System or Mark III games. Master System/Mark III is backwards compatible with SG-1000/SC-3000, but not the other way as SMS is more advanced than SG-1000/SC-3000. Those adaptors will allow you to use an SMS flash cart (flashed with SG-1000 games) on an SC-3000, but not actual retail SMS cartridges.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:10 pm
oh ok, thanks for clearing that up :)

Here's the youtube video that says you can play SMS games, if you're interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8zggI6A2Qs
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:34 pm
And the below site says most SMS games will work with the adaptor.

https://nseimports.co.uk/products/sms-2-sg1000-sega-master-system-to-sega-mark-iii-japan-sg-1000-sc-3000-adapter-sms-adapter?variant=32603145207882&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAjw6raYBhB7EiwABge5Kv_BiivY03hYU7mLsiGLYjQzwdq4BDccr6MXFUjmX9qmoIQunHFXQBoCZs4QAvD_BwE
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:50 pm
Don't believe the specs for electronic products from China! This is the equivalent of saying you can play Mega Drive games on an SMS with a simple pass through adaptor.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:06 pm
That sort of thing would only work if it is a modern device which is basically an entire clone console which uses a retro console only as a power source and controller (the ones I'm thinking of are such that allow playing Genesis or GBA games on a SNES. I've heard they were really designed for a certain clone console, but since they used almost nothing of the original hardware capability, could run on authentic consoles.)

Though taking a look at the link provided, my guess is that the adapter is only ACTUALLY for a Mark III/JP SMS, but somebody not so knowledgeable about the product they're selling wrote the ad copy and assumed SC-3000/SG-1000 are the same thing as Mark III.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:05 pm
KingMike wrote
Though taking a look at the link provided, my guess is that the adapter is only ACTUALLY for a Mark III/JP SMS, but somebody not so knowledgeable about the product they're selling wrote the ad copy and assumed SC-3000/SG-1000 are the same thing as Mark III.

I'm seeing that a lot :)
Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:04 pm
He probably just misspoke in regard to it playing Master System games.

I think he was referring specifically to card games when using the card catcher. Still wouldn't work though.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:48 pm
Yes, now that I've seen how much better the games look on the SMS compared to the GS-1000, it would be a bit like expecting Amiga games to work on the C64 :)

I think because the GC-3000 looks more modern (later) than it is, I was expecting it to run more advanced games, but the games probably only compare to the Atari 2600.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:03 pm
It's basically the same hardware as Colecovision, but with SC-3000 you can add more RAM (16 or 32K) via the Basic carts, or even more (64K) with the SF-7000 disk drive, which makes it closer to MSX specs.

The big difference between SC-3000 and SMS is the VDP (graphics chip).
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!