Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star item tables?

Reply to topic
Phantasy Star item tables?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:29 am
With the intention of one day making a randomiser for Phantasy Star, I thought I'd start looking into the item addresses. However I'm a novice rom hacker at best and all I've been able to do so far is alter item names rather than their properties.

So does anyone know where the starting offset is for items so that I can use this info in the future?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:58 am
For which ROM variant? The item names are in one table, item codes are used throughout the code to deal with special effects, there’s a table of dungeon chest items, another for enemy item drops, more for item shops…
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:59 am
I'm using USA, Europe V1.3.

Ah so if I wanted to randomise all items, I couldn't just use data from one table? I'd probably need to create multiple classes.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:56 pm
It really depends on the nature of the randomisation you want to achieve. My disassembly of the Japanese version can be mapped to the UE version in most cases, or there are varying quality disassemblies out there covering the UE ROM.

I’m naturally biased so I’d suggest randomising the retranslation rather than the original. However this adds some complication as it relocates some data in a way that’s harder to hack on.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:09 pm
My goal is to have every item found inside a chest be random. Random shop contents and random enemy drops can come later. I've heard Alis' starting items are hard coded. So creating an option for random starting items could be a ways off due to that issue.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:13 pm
These are all tractable problems. I know how the dungeon chests are stored, and the initial items. I don’t have access to the source right now though. You will need to be able to work with a disassembly to make good progress on a hack.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:53 pm
Ah yeah disassembly. I'm no good at that. This is why I ws looking for partners on this project. But no rush. I've just been looking for a project to do whilst I wait for a coder for my Breath of Fire rando I've been working on. I did most of it myself but the actual randomising part is beyind me.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!