SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Issue image

Reply to topic
Issue image
Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:18 pm
Hey guys,
I just bought a SMS. The seller didn't mention, that it has some serious Problems with the Image Transmission. I tried the av and the rf cable, both Show the exact same issue:
-No Sound All the time,
-screen is Black and White and suddenly Shows the Image and after 2 seconds it is gone again (this repeats as long as the SMS is turned on, maybe a loose contact?)
-tried different games, Problem is still there.
-I cleaned the circuit Board with appropiate spray, but no change.

Can someone help? Or recommend a yt video?
This beauty is way to pretty to throw away. Sorry for my bad English 🙈 and thank you ✌️
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:16 am
It’s likely that there are failed or failing capacitors. Replacing these is relatively simple for someone with experience with soldering.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:39 am
Maxim wrote
It’s likely that there are failed or failing capacitors. Replacing these is relatively simple for someone with experience with soldering.

Thank you! Hmmm, I think now is the best time to learn how to solder 🥴 Any recommendations on Equipment and beginner tutorials?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:33 am
I would avoid breaking a possibly repairable master system and have someone experienced working on it.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 pm
You could practice first on some other less precious stuff to get the hang of it?

As Maxim says, it's not super challenging, but it is rather a big project to take on if you've never picked up a soldering iron before...

@LockedLoki - where are you based out of interest? The timing might not quite work out, but I will at some point quite soon need some guinea pigs to test out my Build your Own Console on...

My one piece of advice starting out would be don't make the mistake of buying the very cheapest irons. Basically you want a good amount of power, temperature control and most people swap out the stock conical tip with a chisel tip straight away. I would advise against anything USB powered and also against the simple irons which plug straight into the mains - the ones with the separate workstation are far superior.

That said, you definitely don't need to spend a lot of money - I have used this old beast for many happy years and it was pretty inexpensive at around $50. I don't think you can pick them up new any more, but looks like you can get slightly more expensive digital alternatives from the same manufacturer.

Secondly, you absolutely need some high quality solder. Traditional 63/37 leaded can be a little harder to find these days but is the easiest to use. Otherwise, always go for a named brand with multi-core rosin flux, and honestly the thinner the better. I use 26 swg for general purpose work, which is just around 0.45mm diameter or 0.16mm^2 csa.

You'll definitely want a nice pair of side-snips. These look a little like a small pair of scissors but they have a very sharp flat pair of cutting surfaces. In terms of tools, these are the one thing that you really can't do with out, so invest in a decent pair. You might also have another cheap pair on hand for rougher work so you don't damage your good pair.

If you are removing existing components you'll also find that a good reel of desolder braid is very useful, although it takes some practice to use it. I would get some 0.1 inch width braid.

For practising, I'm sure there are lots of practice kits out there, but you might find a real project kit to build. Failing that, you could pick up a fairly big piece of Vero board, which has lots of pre-perforated holes at 0.1 in spacing, grab a pack of cheap assorted through hole components and just start soldering things to the board.

With smaller boards it can be helpful to have something to hold them steady. I have one of these type of things (not sure which of the many clones I purchased, but it's quite nice – EDIT: it's that exact one, the Velleman VTHH6) which is absolutely fantastic, and so much nicer to use that the crazy "doctor octopus" hands things out there, but I would consider this optional equipment.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:32 pm
Thank you so much for your reply!!!! I bought a soldering station and a starter kit for practicing. I love learning New Things and I am not that bad in technical Things.

I live in Germany.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!