Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic Triple Trouble SMS conversion: "Sea Fox" speed boost not working

Reply to topic
Sonic Triple Trouble SMS conversion: "Sea Fox" speed boost not working
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:24 am
Does Tails Sea Fox submarine's speed boost not work in the SMS conversion of Triple Trouble? Can't seem to get it to work, unless I'm doing something wrong? In the Game Gear Manual it says: "For a speed boost, simultaneously hold the D-Pad down and Button 1, then release the D-Pad." but yeah, button 1 in the SMS conversion is mapped to pause the game, and button 2 is used to shoot torpedoes, just like in the Game Gear version, so there seem to be no option to speed boost in the SMS conversion.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:10 pm
Yeah, that port hasn't been updated in years, and has always had a lot of peculiarities to it (such as messed up palette in Great Turquoise where one of the shades of brown is repeated TWICE), as well as the camera and some object layouts not being adjusted for the SMS's resolution. With the coming of the Triple Trouble remake, it may be best just to play that for the time being, until a new update is made for the port.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:20 pm
Hm, I see, hope it can be updated sometime tho to fix this at least, cus it's a shame you can not perform one of the moves in the game. While it's neat to have button 1 act as pause on the controller, maybe it would had been best to just map it to the pause on the console if possible, and like how it is on all other games. And for me personally it does not matter too much since I use a pause button modded controller.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:55 pm
With the additions of hacking breakthroughs, such as Master System games being able to detect a Genesis controller when playing, we could have it where the game has code added that detects a Genesis controller, and uses the START button on it for pausing, while if played with a Master System controller, then pausing is mapped onto the Master System's PAUSE button.

I remember doing palette mockups for Grear Turquoise, Sunset Park, and the Special Stage as well.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:37 pm
Did not know that was possible, sounds neat to be able to use a Mega Drive/Genesis gamepad like that! But how hard is it to maybe change the button mappings in the game? Hope something like that is not too hard? Cus hope it would be a quite easy fix for someone that knows hacking to at least change pause to the consoles button. And nice! But your pallettes did not got used?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:05 pm
The source code for the original version is here. It's an incomplete disassembly of the original GG ROM but with patches for SMS support. You need to set the SMS_VERSION define to 1 to build that version.

I can't remember what state this is in as it's been years since I last touched it but feel free to hack on it if you want.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:15 pm
Hello! I am lately very busy, when possible try to fix it.

Thanks for info
Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:07 pm
Yeah, my palettes didn't get used, but that's because they were a just for fun thing I did, and didn't really have a way at the time to put them in-game, nor permission from Glitch nor BcnAbel76 to do so. At one time, I actually thought of doing a character sprite hack for it too, but with me already trying to get my own current project ready by holiday 2022, I need to put all other projects on hold until then. Plus, the release of the Triple Trouble fangame made it where I felt less inclined to make the sprite hack. I do have the palette for Great Turquoise if anyone asks though.

Also I do apologize if my comments came off rude or disparaging. I'm not good at tone or telling when I am coming off badly. 😕
Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:38 am
The source code for the original version is here. It's an incomplete disassembly of the original GG ROM but with patches for SMS support. You need to set the SMS_VERSION define to 1 to build that version.

I can't remember what state this is in as it's been years since I last touched it but feel free to hack on it if you want.

I have no experience myself to hack a game unfortunatley, but thanks for the links anway! :)

Hello! I am lately very busy, when possible try to fix it.

Thanks for info

Okay thanks for the reply tho! Hope you get some time to fix it in the future! I saw this person on youtube did a new hack btw! But would been nice to have the pause function mapped to the consoles actual Pause button if possible instead I think, seems he had some poroblems with that.

Yeah, my palettes didn't get used, but that's because they were a just for fun thing I did, and didn't really have a way at the time to put them in-game, nor permission from Glitch nor BcnAbel76 to do so. At one time, I actually thought of doing a character sprite hack for it too, but with me already trying to get my own current project ready by holiday 2022, I need to put all other projects on hold until then. Plus, the release of the Triple Trouble fangame made it where I felt less inclined to make the sprite hack. I do have the palette for Great Turquoise if anyone asks though.

Also I do apologize if my comments came off rude or disparaging. I'm not good at tone or telling when I am coming off badly. 😕

Ah okay I see, thanks for letting me know! :)
Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:51 am
Just few days Sonic Triple Trouble 16 bits (Windows) was realised

https://gamejolt.com/games/sonictripletrouble16bit/322794
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!