Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Light Phaser in Japan

Reply to topic
Sega Light Phaser in Japan
Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 am
I was watching a Youtube video from GTV Japan about the story about the infamous Yume Kojo festival in Japan (1987). As you might or might not know, a Famicom game starring the festival "mascots" was released that same year, which turned out to be our Western Super Mario Bros 2 with a few sprite changes, which had us deceived and living in ignorance until we were old guys with internet access.

But I digress. What catched my eye was the fact that Sega set up a bunch of Western consoles so people could try both their 3D glasses and Light Phaser at the same time, with Missile Defense 3D. While the 3D glasses were released in Japan, the Light Phaser wasn't, and while Missile Defense was developed in Japan (if I remember correctly) by Marc Cerny, it wasn't released there either, and this was the only time those poor kids would get to see that game, the Phaser, and our plain looking cartridges. The "Western-looking" Master System wouldn't be released in Japan until a couple months later too, so I can't imagine just what these kids thought they were playing.

Full video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnyZdboNOY
yume_kojo_sms.JPG (237.01 KB)
yume_kojo_sms.JPG

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!