Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Pause button repair on a Master System II

Reply to topic
Pause button repair on a Master System II
Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:55 pm
I recently aquired a Master System II which has, at some point in its history, had its Pause button replaced by a new push-switch embedded into the side of the case. I'm thinking of repairing it so that the actual Pause button works again - finding the correct switch and soldering it to the motherboard. Although I don't have a lot of experience in repairing electronics, it seems simple enough and a good beginner's project.

I had a couple of nagging thoughts, though. First, why would someone do this to an MS II in the first place? If they went to the trouble of opening it up and soldering in a new Pause button, why not simply replace it with the correct component on the motherboard and save having to bash a hole in the side for this ugly new switch?

Second, if I succeed, that ugly switch will still be there, and removing it would just mean that there'd be a hole in the case. Are there any mods or other uses for such a switch in an MS II, like a 50/60Hz toggle or something similar, which I could do in order to put this switch to better use?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:56 pm
As it’s a push to make switch, you could use it as a reset button. Other mods are more stateful like 50/60Hz and region switches.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!