Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MiSTer "Extended Game Gear Resolution" Added

Reply to topic
MiSTer "Extended Game Gear Resolution" Added
Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:56 pm
Hey, I just saw this latest MiSTer update:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/sms-68013685

This supposedly opens up the playable resolution for games that were just cropped. I haven't had time to test, but based on all my previous testing, the only games that don't have garbage around the screen when the full 256x192 resolution is opened are SMS originals with a Game Gear mode.

Does anyone know if there are any Game Gear exclusives that this would benefit from? I imagine if there were, the GG2SMS hacks would already have been done on it...but I figured there's no better place to ask then here :)
unknown.png (41.63 KB)
unknown.png

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 am
I haven't tested it, but games that were using the same code base (Lemmings 2, Smurfs,) for both consoles, maybe don't have the garbage at all?
Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:44 pm
I just did some more testing: It basically just opens the game area like GG2SMS hacks. And sometimes it works perfectly, such as with any GG game that was an SMS port.

For GG exclusives, it's similar to GG2SMS conversions which often have stuff outside the playable GG screen area that's not meant to be seen.

So, an absolutely awesome feature that GG fans will appreciate, but it's not a "magic" solution - I suggest just trying it and seeing what happens.

If anyone else has time to test, I'd love to hear other people's opinions as well.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 am
The SG2GG, MSX2GG and CV2GG conversions could benefit from this, since the counterpart conversions for the SMS look mostly darker and unplayable. I remember MSX2GG conversions show a portion of the screen only.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!