Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Full PAL SMS Set - Thoughts

Reply to topic
Full PAL SMS Set - Thoughts
Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:39 am
Interested to know other peoples thoughts on collecting for a full set of Master System games for the PAL region. I've only got 15 to go and luckily they are all now easy to find but I have friends who are less fortunate and everyone seems to be fighting over the so called "big hitters" which I was lucky enough to pick up along the way on my collecting journey easy doors.

Have you finished yet?
Do you think you'll stop at 269?
How many have you got left to find?
What are your thoughts on the current state of the Retro Gaming marketing right now?
Have you insured your collection given its current value?

Discuss!
Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:33 pm
I collect a lot of things but for the SMS I only have about 30-40 games in physical form - mostly the common stuff but I do have a CIB copy of Digger Chan which was a homebrew released about 10 years ago. I haven't bought any more SMS games since acquiring an Everdrive in 2016.

For me, SMS collecting is a bit too uniform. Lots of forum posts of people showing off their complete PAL collections. With something like the C64, there is a lot more variety. With a library of 10,000 games across many different genres, everyone's collection will be different; people will have to be more discerning with what they buy and their collection will say a lot more about what they like and dislike.

My gaming collection definitely prioritises hardware over software. I have several different computers and consoles with an accompanying flash device and/or 30/40 games. The secondary market for physical games has gone insane and I have a huge film and music collection which dominates most of the space I have to devote to physical media.
Full PAL SMS Set - Thoughts
Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:52 pm
What list are you using for the 269 figure? Are you counting all the 2-in-1 packs and home-brews in that?

I have 140 of the PAL titles. I should have more but I was really picky during the heavy collecting days. I wouldn’t buy a game that was missing the manual. A bit of a regret now. I never thought games would rise in price so much, especially with emulation being a thing.

I agree with English Invader. Having all the games is good thing, especially if that’s your goal. I don’t think I’ll ever get there myself, but I’m at peace with that.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:46 am
I think I am only missing Smurfs 2 and will likely be that way forever.

I am also lucky enough to acquire my set at least a decade ago and wouldn't even entertain the idea of chasing it now, prices are not ever going to be what they once were.

Everyone is an individual, if it is about owning things then it can be a fun, if not cost prohibitive, pursuit but if you just want to play the games on a real sms/md/gen/gg then an everdrive or something is a much easier and cost effective solution.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:12 am
Well, sometimes I´m asking myself where people get all the money to pay 150 bucks or more for single games. Are they eating just bread for the rest of the month or are they all (which is unlikely) very wealthy?

I still have a few manuals to get - yes, for some of the big titles as well - but I´ll pass on these. Otherwise I have a full set and all U.S. games too (if a copy of Heavyweight Champ counts instead of Buster Douglas). I´m still missing Mah-Jong, though. I completed my set some years ago and I have Smurfs 2 as well now, but I wouldn´t recommend anyone to go for a full set nowadays. I wouldn´t do it myself if I´d start now. Ten years ago, it was possible, but now an Everdrive is the way to go or just a bunch of games you can acquire for fair prices. A collection of 60 to 70 games seem to be much these days. Buggy Run isn´t even available anymore, and the market is flooded with fake games, which is a shame.

The games of the Mega Drive library are becoming more and more expensive too, but you can still get some games for fair prices.

It´s a pity, since everybody should get the game he/she wants to play, but the time for SMS collecting is quite over, sadly. Social media communities could be a good way, but Ebay is just brutal.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:54 am
Some interesting points made for sure and the prices have certainly played a big factor recently. I don't think prices will drop any time soon either.

asynchronous: drop me a DM with your email address if you want to see the spreadsheet I use and I'll try and email you a copy.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:48 pm
I'm 2 short of complete UK (Which we're pretty certain just excludes the 2 Smurfs games and I have the first one).

But those are Buggy Run and Power Strike 2. It might be a while.

EDIT : And now I realise who the thread creator is, Hi mate!
Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:27 pm
Do you only collect the games or also the hardware etc?

I an other forum we talked about the handle controller which should be quite rare. Does anybody has more informations about the handle controller (in which countries in europe it has been sold, value)?
Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:07 am
I've been collecting for the last ~16 years or so, and split myself across far too many consoles however started with the SMS.

Sitting about 210 games now, still need Smurfs 2, Masters of Combat and that boxing one.

I'd still like to complete it, but like many was lucky I picked up a lot of stuff many years ago. Wish I hit it harder back then though but it's a lifelong journey so all in due time. In no rush, and grateful for the friends (both local and overseas) that have been made in that time, it's been nice to meet people happy to help each other out collection wise as well, trade games with etc.

It's a shame that the days of finding games at garage sales and swap meets are long gone, and as I ditched facebook, access to certain game groups has been lost as well so it's mainly been eBay for me.

I've mixed across hardware and software too.

If I was looking to get into this now... I probably wouldn't aim for complete, I'd just go an Everdrive and not worry about it. I think as well as the generations pass, who's going to collect in future? With those younger than us who grew up on PS3s and PS4s want to go this far back collecting wise? Will the prices drop eventually as the younger generations have no demand for the older systems?
Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:56 am
Hi buddy, yep, it's mate!!

Yesterzine wrote
I'm 2 short of complete UK (Which we're pretty certain just excludes the 2 Smurfs games and I have the first one).

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:59 am
Nice one buddy, I know what you mean about a "life long journey". I sold up everything a few years ago when I relocated to the US but then moved back to the UK. Managed to get so bits back but decided to go for Master System as something new. It's been an incredible journey (but expensive too, lol).

shifted wrote
I've been collecting for the last ~16 years or so, and split myself across far too many consoles however started with the SMS.

Sitting about 210 games now, still need Smurfs 2, Masters of Combat and that boxing one.

I'd still like to complete it, but like many was lucky I picked up a lot of stuff many years ago. Wish I hit it harder back then though but it's a lifelong journey so all in due time. In no rush, and grateful for the friends (both local and overseas) that have been made in that time, it's been nice to meet people happy to help each other out collection wise as well, trade games with etc.

It's a shame that the days of finding games at garage sales and swap meets are long gone, and as I ditched facebook, access to certain game groups has been lost as well so it's mainly been eBay for me.

I've mixed across hardware and software too.

If I was looking to get into this now... I probably wouldn't aim for complete, I'd just go an Everdrive and not worry about it. I think as well as the generations pass, who's going to collect in future? With those younger than us who grew up on PS3s and PS4s want to go this far back collecting wise? Will the prices drop eventually as the younger generations have no demand for the older systems?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:10 am
I completed my PAL set many years ago, probably nearly 15 years ago. However I only completed it with all manuals in 2020 when I bought one of those new old stock Smurfs 2 from Italy. Finally pulled the trigger on it as all the moons had aligned financially at the time.

It amazes me what some of the games are now selling for, I could never afford to start the collection from scratch now. I never thought at the time this is where it would be, I collected for fun and not as an investment.

I still look out for minor euro and regional variations and probably have around 900 - 1000 Master System games, and I know I am still missing lots, It’s never ending really but I’m in no rush at all.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:56 am
Best way to be buddy, I just enjoy the journey myself. My buddy Kev, who I think you also know has a basement full of Master System games and has been a real help and great source of information too. Made some great friends doing this but the prices are making it harder. It's nice when you find a bargain though. Makes it all worth it.

james costello wrote
I completed my PAL set many years ago, probably nearly 15 years ago. However I only completed it with all manuals in 2020 when I bought one of those new old stock Smurfs 2 from Italy. Finally pulled the trigger on it as all the moons had aligned financially at the time.

It amazes me what some of the games are now selling for, I could never afford to start the collection from scratch now. I never thought at the time this is where it would be, I collected for fun and not as an investment.

I still look out for minor euro and regional variations and probably have around 900 - 1000 Master System games, and I know I am still missing lots, It’s never ending really but I’m in no rush at all.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:11 pm
Yesterzine wrote

I'm pretty sure the first Smurfs was released in the UK. It was reviewed in Mean Machines Sega, Sega Power, and Sega Pro, and even a review in a local newspaper mentions it as being available for Master System. A classified ad later that year was also selling an SMS with Smurfs as one of the games.

From memory these PAL releases missed the UK;

Great Soccer card: Was discontinued early on prior to SMS releasing in UK. Only released in Australia, Germany, Hong Kong & Italy.

Hang-On card (boxed): SMS was initially sold in Australia, Hong Kong, & Italy without Hang-On bundled. For a brief period boxed Hang-On was sold seperately in those countries.

Mah Jong: Only sold in Hong Kong

4 PAK All Action: Only sold in Australia (unlicensed)

Game Box Série Esportes: Sports game compilation released in Portugal and Greece

Sapo Xulé: S.O.S. Lagoa Poluida: Tectoy hack of Astro Warrior released in Portugal

Smurfs 2: Due out for 1996 holidays, 18 months since last SMS release in major markets. Eventually sold in Czech Republic

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:30 pm
Nice clippings! Wonder how many takers there were for that £35 gold dralon settee...
Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:46 pm
Nice one buddy and I do know with some certainty that great soccer never made it to the UK. I think Smurfs 2 is quite well publicised to have only sold around 20 copies (in Eastern Europe I believe) and the rest went missing for quite some time until the chap in Italy bought them all and is currently selling them one at a time on eBay. Can't say I blame him 👍

Very nice newspaper clippings for sure. Great share.

BKK wrote
Yesterzine wrote

I'm pretty sure the first Smurfs was released in the UK. It was reviewed in Mean Machines Sega, Sega Power, and Sega Pro, and even a review in a local newspaper mentions it as being available for Master System. A classified ad later that year was also selling an SMS with Smurfs as one of the games.

From memory these PAL releases missed the UK;

Great Soccer card: Was discontinued early on prior to SMS releasing in UK. Only released in Australia, Germany, Hong Kong & Italy.

Hang-On card (boxed): SMS was initially sold in Australia, Hong Kong, & Italy without Hang-On bundled. For a brief period boxed Hang-On was sold seperately in those countries.

Mah Jong: Only sold in Hong Kong

4 PAK All Action: Only sold in Australia (unlicensed)

Game Box Série Esportes: Sports game compilation released in Portugal and Greece

Sapo Xulé: S.O.S. Lagoa Poluida: Tectoy hack of Astro Warrior released in Portugal

Smurfs 2: Due out for 1996 holidays, 18 months since last SMS release in major markets. Eventually sold in Czech Republic
Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 pm
Not going for a PAL set just too expensive and with shipping to the U.S. these days it pushes it even further out of my price range. Although if there were a big lot of titles... lol

I am trying to get specific PAL titles that I will play and hopefully, enjoy. I have price points in mind and can wait patiently. Plenty of other good SMS titles to enjoy.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:57 pm
That's a great way to do it mate. Spend to your means.

Owazrim wrote
Not going for a PAL set just too expensive and with shipping to the U.S. these days it pushes it even further out of my price range. Although if there were a big lot of titles... lol

I am trying to get specific PAL titles that I will play and hopefully, enjoy. I have price points in mind and can wait patiently. Plenty of other good SMS titles to enjoy.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!