7 11% 11%
8 27% 27%
9 16% 16%
10 (Excellent) 11% 11%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Hacks Competition 2022] Stella in Adventure World by tsp
Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:09 am
https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS-StellaInAdventureWorld...

Stella in Adventure World is an unlicensed, non commercial (= free) fan game created by tsp, based on Alex Kidd in Miracle World v1.1, edited with KiddEd.
The game is a prequel to Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, and is set in the same continuity of Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 and 3.
This demo contains eight levels which will be in the final release, plus a few hidden surprises!
Featuring soundtracks and sfx from the talented game composer Nicole Marie T!
Thanks to Calindro for his availability, support and all the ips patches!

Have fun!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:30 pm
I'm really impressed by this upgrade to Alex Kidd! And all these decades later it's nice that Stella gets her own game finally.

I had a question, I got stuck at this part in stage 2 and can't proceed. In the lower path you can't jump out (though going to the extreme left will kill your character), and when you respawn on the top path the door is blocked by the tile in front of it. Is there a trick? I can't wait to play the rest of it. :D
stella1.png (9.24 KB)
stella1.png

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:41 pm
Charles MacDonald wrote
I'm really impressed by this upgrade to Alex Kidd! And all these decades later it's nice that Stella gets her own game finally.

I had a question, I got stuck at this part in stage 2 and can't proceed. In the lower path you can't jump out (though going to the extreme left will kill your character), and when you respawn on the top path the door is blocked by the tile in front of it. Is there a trick? I can't wait to play the rest of it. :D

Hi! Thanks for your feedback! You must break the ledge to enter.

I hope you enjoy the game. There are a some easter eggs and lots of hidden stuff to find, including a secret sidequest with seven extra levels which are exclusive to this demo version. =)
temp-122.png (65.53 KB)
temp-122.png

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:22 am
Good hack. It's nice that Stella finally gets her own game. It's a little too hard for me from the get-go, though. Or maybe my skills have become a bit rusty.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:41 pm
Kagesan wrote
Good hack. It's nice that Stella finally gets her own game. It's a little too hard for me from the get-go, though. Or maybe my skills have become a bit rusty.

Thanks for the feedback! I have updated the demo with minor design changes to some of the levels, in order to make it a little bit easier and a more enjoyable experience! In addition, you now start the game with ten lives. =)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:21 pm
Last edited by segarule on Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Babita must be an excellent tester. The hack is harder than i expected.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:00 pm
segarule wrote
Babita must be a excellent tester. The hack is harder than i expected.

She is used to beat Battletoads. ^^

Anyhow, try the new version. It is a bit easier.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:26 pm
Wonderful hack/game. I must admit, I had to google who Stella is... yeah, I know. I see now that her tombstone is in Altered Beast. A little rough.

One would expect Stella's game to play out a lot like Alex's game, and this hack delivers on those expectations, which is good! Very fitting music on both title screen and in game, and cute graphics. I like the transformations/reskinning of the enemies.

The new version is indeed a little easier than then first one, but it is still way too hard for me. I'm just a casual Alex Kidd gamer, and I find myself eliminated (mostly to difficult jumps) all the time. I think some of the background in the first level (the buildings) are now a little out of order, since the edits in the most recent edition.

Anyways, very nice work, and I'm glad I got to know Stella!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:29 pm
hi

I don't know that by hacking alex kidd game, we can have these kinds of game. Great job for all these hacks
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:27 pm
hang-on wrote
The new version is indeed a little easier than then first one, but it is still way too hard for me. I'm just a casual Alex Kidd gamer, and I find myself eliminated (mostly to difficult jumps) all the time.

Just like the original AKiMW back in the 80s, this isn't supposed to be a game you can beat in one sitting. There is a learning curve, but each time you play you will become better and very likely will master it after a few tries. ^^

Here are a few tips:

- Almost every level has an "easy route" in which you can navigate quickly.

For instance, in the first level, you can avoid a treacherous jump right after the one-eyed octopus statue if you stick to the upper platforms. Anyhow, if you die trying to jump the big gap, Stella will respawn on the upper platform, avoiding more frustration ^^

In the second level, if you stay in the ground past the closed shop, it will be much easier. However, you will pick up much less money and will skip an extra life. Also, the indoors section with all the ninjas is much easier if you got the bracelet from the previous level (it is beneath the first octopus statue, but then you will have to try the big jump -- it is a trade-off).

- In this demo, the bracelet is the only available usable item, and it is not found in "?" boxes as in the original game! Instead, it is hidden in some of the levels, and they are scarce. So, use the bracelet wisely.
In most cases, there is a pattern: you find the bracelet in one level, and in the next one, there will be a section which will be much easier to pass if you equip it.

- The ninjas are perhaps the most annoying enemies in the game. Try to memorize where they are, so you can attack before they start throwing stars on you. Also remember you can (and sometimes must!) outmaneuver their throwings! Jump or crouch to lure the stars out of the way and quickly take them out before they shoot again!

- You can dispatch the ghost by breaking two nearby boxes and exposing their contents (moneybags or life). Usually (but not always!) the "?" blocks which release a ghost are strategically placed near to where two or more star boxes can be found.

- Stella's physics is slightly different fom that of Alex: She is less slippery, which makes precision jumping more easy, and she can slide more when crouching. Take advantage of that!

- If you run out of lives, you can continue if you have 1.000 in cash with the same command as in AKiMW.

- Did you find the secret sidequest? ^^

hang-on wrote
I think some of the background in the first level (the buildings) are now a little out of order, since the edits in the most recent edition.

I checked the rom again and didn't find any issues with the background. The only change I´ve made in that level which alters the scenario is the one in the screenshots below.

hang-on wrote
Anyways, very nice work, and I'm glad I got to know Stella!

Thank you! I hope you have fun! ^^
temp-130.png (2.12 KB)
version 1.1
temp-130.png
temp-129.png (2.5 KB)
version 1.0
temp-129.png

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:43 pm
Ricco59 wrote
hi

I don't know that by hacking alex kidd game, we can have these kinds of game. Great job for all these hacks

They are all possible thanks to KiddEd by Calindro! ^^
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:57 am
Thanks for the helpful hints! I will keep them in mind on the next attempts :)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:53 am
Hi, folks! I have made some more adjustments to the game.

Basically, what is new in v1.2 are minor design improvements in levels 5, 6, 9 and 11. Also, in the levels 6 and 11, breakable walls are now slightly different from ordinary ones.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:05 am
The tip regarding the easy/hard routes help me probably more than I should admit. :)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:22 pm
tsp wrote
Hi, folks! I have made some more adjustments to the game.

Basically, what is new in v1.2 are minor design improvements in levels 5, 6, 9 and 11. Also, in the levels 6 and 11, breakable walls are now slightly different from ordinary ones.

Nice hack, congratz
Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:58 am
I really like this so far! I love the custom music, the brand new enemy designs, the overall idea of Stella having her own game in the form of an Alex Kidd hack, everything is showing promise.

I love the sunset palette in the second stage of the game, the lighting looks really really cool, I love the Master System cartridge as the replacement for the onigiri, and also how there's button blocks you need to hit in order to activate switches. These details are so cool and they show that this hack is actually trying to be something.

A suggestion I have is since Stella has a bow/flower thing in the right side her hair, I was thinking you could make some semi-unique left-facing sprites without the thing on them. It would be a pretty simple edit, but I feel like it would show a lot of character to this hack. How about since we're incorporating cameos from other Sega games, maybe Egle in his knight form from Pit Pot? Hell why don't you go all out and have a cameo of Yohko Ishino in there or something!

I'm not too upset that her sprites are just simple edits of Alex's though don't worry, they were like that in Lost Stars :P
Although, I was thinking that the motorcycle sprites could've been replaced with a cute little blue moped for her to ride on, before I saw that she has some kind of hoverboard instead.

Please, please continue work on this as there aren't that many good looking Master System hacks out there, let alone many at all.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:03 am
Thanks for your feedback, VenomRush1997! I am happy that you enjoyed playing Stella!

You can rest assured that I am continuously working on it. However, I have a real life job which is quite time consuming (academic), so progress will be naturally slow. ^^

Anyhow, I can say a few things about the final version of Stella:

- It is ~ 70% done as I write this;
-There will be more cameos;
- All shops will be open;
- Peticopter and other items will be available;
- Levels 1–8 of the demo will be there, but levels 9–15 (did you find them??) will not! Instead, the final version will have entirely new levels past level eight.

Cheers!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!