View topic - [VGM pack] Pengo

Reply to topic
[VGM pack] Pengo
Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:01 pm
Last edited by Tom on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Pack's page:
http://www.smspower.org/Music/Pengo-GG

Original post:
(yeah, I took the liberty to delete the contents of the original post)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:07 pm
Last edited by Tom on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
(this post doesn't exist anymore, too)
Socket, Time Dominator 1s
Web address _broken_!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:56 am
Hm.

> http://digilander.libero.it/sambevolley/pengo.zip

Link broken. I'd like to have this soundtrack, if you can fix the link many ppl would be overjoyed: myself one of 'em!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:21 am
Last edited by Tom on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:26 am; edited 2 times in total
(yeah, deleted)
Socket, Time Dominator 1s
Missing song
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:08 am
Ok.

> Just try again.

Works today. My internet connection may had problems last time. Sorry.

Nice job but I noticed you missed the ingame music "Popcorn" which is also used in this game. Its alternate ingame music used every other stage or so.

Seems also on "level complete" theme, you cut short about a portion of a second too quickly. There is one more high beep at the end which it cutoff in your rip.

Thanks for a good work.

Re: Missing song
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:48 pm
> Nice job but I noticed you missed the ingame music "Popcorn" which is also used in this game. Its alternate ingame music used every other stage or so.
I never heard that music. Maybe are you talking about Master System version? I dumped Game Gear one and maybe it's missing. I am going to check.

> Seems also on "level complete" theme, you cut short about a portion of a second too quickly. There is one more high beep at the end which it cutoff in your rip.
Sorry but it seems to be complete.

> Thanks for a good work.
Well... I am sorry if I cannot answer your two issues, but you are talking about one music I never even heard before and about a song that on my PC seems to be correct... When I play it in winamp it sounds exactly as the "real" version on my "phisical" Game Gear.
Very very sorry!

Regards.
william
web is not working
Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 7:47 pm
i try go to game web. web address is runescape.com but that web is not working
please tall me.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^.^

1.01 published
Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:35 pm
Last edited by karagh on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cover added. Minor tag correction (Ludvig added to his song).

Alternate cover:
Pengo-02.png (682 B)
Pengo-02.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:57 am
The Ode to Joy track should be retitled, the usage can be put in the comment. I think Tom would like the credit changed to his new forum name.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:38 am
Maxim wrote
I think Tom would like the credit changed to his new forum name.
Eh, I noticed that, but I didn't point it out because it doesn't really matter, as the Sonic Triple Trouble pack uses my full name as well, and it's better to keep consistency between packs, so that's ok.
These days I'm trying to hide my surname from the internet but I can't really help that since it's already on various places. I was stupid in 2002 :P
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:57 pm
Well, it is easy to change it. I fixed Pengo, I'll try to fix STT later unless you want to do it yourself.

(My surname is on the internet from when I was stupid in 1999. Also, your English seems way better now.)
Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:02 pm
Hi guys.

This set is very good (I love the Main Theme of this game), but I think it's incomplete. This game also has the Popcorn theme used in the Arcade version and isn't included in the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxI4o8u421I (0:42)

Is there any chance to complete it? I'd do it, but I don't have any idea about hacking and this game doesn't have sound test.

See ya
Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:28 am
Last edited by marklincadet on Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
It's been ten years, huh...

I added the missing songs from the Japanese version of the game, as mentioned, which includes covers of the veritable bop Popcorn. While I was at it I also did up the tags a little, which also includes Japanese ones which I hope are fine.
Pengo-GG.zip (15.95 KB)
Version 1.05: added JP songs, looped Act Presentation, more retagging

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:33 am
Sorry if you did a duplicate work, I take you didn't see this discussion? https://www.smspower.org/forums/18231-LookingToReRipVGMsForPengoGG
Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:42 am
Oh, I didn't know you'd already ripped the remaining songs! It's no biggie, I don't think I did things any different than you would've done.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:34 pm
I'm not saying that you did a bad job, in fact, even if I didn't listen to your rips, I'm sure that they're fine. I'm just sorry that you did a duplicated job while I was waiting for a green light on mine (I would never modify an existing pack without authorisation). Duplicated jobs are one of the things I hate the most, because they're a waste of two people's times.

And that's why I rarely do things anymore. The occasional time I do something, it's useless. Back to doing nothing at all, I guess. It's been my mistake all along anyway, I can't deny that I was a much worse person back in 2004, I didn't know that Popcorn was there, and I automatically assumed that other people were wrong about it. Reading my older posts (both here and on other forums) always makes me feel ashamed, and I can see why I've been superbanned from many places.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:25 pm
I’m sorry I didn’t pick up that other thread and update the pack. I’m always happy to be nagged about things periodically.
Version 1.05
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:43 pm
Tom wrote
I'm not saying that you did a bad job, in fact, even if I didn't listen to your rips, I'm sure that they're fine. I'm just sorry that you did a duplicated job while I was waiting for a green light on mine (I would never modify an existing pack without authorisation). Duplicated jobs are one of the things I hate the most, because they're a waste of two people's times.

Tom, I'm really sorry about missing the other thread. I've been going over the pack update I submitted previously and realise that the changes I made were a little overzealous.

Here is an entirely new pack update adding the important stuff without changing any of your work, and with the recent passing of Popcorn composer Gershon Kingsley now is probably the best time to release it.

There is one recent notable discovery to justify this pack update- it turns out that Katsuhiro Hayashi listed the game on his old profile, and so is responsible for the arrangements in this pack. I also noticed when hacking the music engine to play the game's songs that the Level Presentation actually loops even though the game doesn't give it a chance to, and for the sake of reflecting how it plays in the song data I went in and did a rip of the song looped.

I've added these and the missing songs (using your rips) to the pack, which I will be uploading directly to the site. Maxim, feel free to go over it and make sure it's alright before making the YouTube video.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:41 pm
I really appreciate your kind post, thanks for that.

Still, it doesn't change the fact that it all began with my mistake all those years ago, so it's good that other people including you got involved into this, I can hardly claim ownership over a work which was half-assed all along.

Your improvements were much needed to turn this into something good, so thanks for taking care of it.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!