8 23% 23%
9 29% 29%
10 (Excellent) 11% 11%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Hacks Competition 2022] Rayman Retro Rumble by Pinkeye
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:38 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS-RaymanRetroRumble-Mod

The Glade of Dreams is in great danger again. Mr Trouble, yet another villain has plunged it and its inhabitants in the 8-bit era. Run, Jump, Fly, punch your way through all the levels, and bring it back to the 4K era!

The Rayman Retro Rumble demo was created with Kidded by PinkEye, so it's a hack of "Alex Kidd in Miracle World".

Thanks to Calindro who very patiently answered all my silly questions and created patches to make the game even better. Thanks to badsector_83 who playtested the game and suggested ways to improve it. And thanks to tibonev who converted some official Rayman tunes and composed new ones for the first 7 levels of that demo.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:30 pm
Hi, Pinkeye.
I found a problem with this hack. See the attachment. When i enter in "shop"? (pressing up) my rayman seems to enter but the controls force me to left.
Maybe not be too bad turn from 4k to 8bit era. LOL

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:02 am
Yup, sorry guys, I had to send something before the deadline, but I must admit the demo wasn't quite yet ready for release. And especially level 3 that is going to be pretty different. But also some minor bugs to fix in other levels.

I've just become a dad, but my sidekick badsector from Voyage is working hard to modify this level.

We should soon be able to present you a much more interesting demo.

Check this thread in the next few days, I'll tell you when the file's been updated.

Thanks for your help anyway!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:25 am
Very nice. I haven’t played any of the mainline Rayman games, so I can’t comment on how accurate this depicts its game world, but it’s obvious that a ton of effort went into this hack. Visuals and music are good and the level design is solid throughout.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:57 am
Kagesan wrote
Very nice. I haven’t played any of the mainline Rayman games, so I can’t comment on how accurate this depicts its game world, but it’s obvious that a ton of effort went into this hack. Visuals and music are good and the level design is solid throughout.

Well, thank you, and to answer your question about the game world : a lot of work lol.

The first level, the snoring tree, is the corner stone of the Glade of Dreams. It is a giant tree where polokus, the bubble dreamer, takes his naps (which can last for centuries), and his dreams give shape to the Glade of Dreams and its inhabitants (unfortunately his nightmares too. Which also explains the ever changing geography of all games of the series : when his dreams change, the land changes too. It is inconsistent from one game to another, but there however are recurring themes that I tried to implement into the game :

Level 2 and 3 are classic Rayman levels. Whether it's called the Primordial Forrest or the Jibberish Jungle, there's always a Forrest themed level. I called this zone the Drift Woods. Rabbit enemies are here as a reference to the raving rabbids, who'll have their own games after messing with Rayman and his friends. Sometimes the land is your ally, as it is the case in level 2, mushrooms allowing you to find hidden items, but at other times it becomes ferocious, like the trees and plants in level 3 (not obvious in the first demo, but an update will soon be available).

Then level 4 is an echo to the fact that many Rayman levels and characters are inspired by fairy tales, mythology, or even classic movies. Here I chose to install three pig-riding teensies as the great villains of the game, each one of them living in a castle made of straw, of wood and of stone, as in the classic tale three little pigs. A last iron castle will have Rayman face the big bad wolf.

Level 5, a scrolling shooter level, as many can be played in the original 32bit Rayman game, but also on the Origins reboot. Those are my favorite levels, and I couldn't imagine my fan game without similar levels. Bzit the moskito is my favorite character, also the reason why he is present on the cover art of the game.

Level 6 brings you to the second zone of the game : ukul'islands. And again it's a reference to the other games : the chromatic skies in 32bit Rayman is a series of levels with a music theme, Rayman sliding along the lines of a partition and bouncing on drums, trying to escape an evil saxophone. The same theme can be found in Origins, with the desert of didjeridoos, a desert filled with music instruments. I tries to recreate an 8gbit version of this idea, and also implemented the slippery piano tiles as a reference to the slippery surface of the chromatic skies.

And level 7,which is not in the first version of the demo, but will soon be available, will introduce another typical game play in the Rayman series : chase levels. Still in the ukul'islands zone, you will visit a haunted pyramid and try to escape the evil spirit that lies there.

The rest of the game will feature two more zones : the ice Flogurt, once again a recurring theme in Rayman : food. Mr Dark in the original game has his l'air on top of a cake mountain, while in origins and legends levels take place in a kitchen, on a giant cake, or even in the guts of a dragon and overeater. And the other zone, I don't remember it's name, but it will be a reference to the mystical pique, another Rayman classic.

So yep, landscapes, creatures, level design, story, Characters, I've worked very hard to create something coherent with other Rayman games, and with the same sense of humor. A whole lot of work indeed. And a lot done already in just a few weeks.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:42 pm
Hi there,

This file should replace the original one soon, I just sent it. But if you want to get it sooner, just follow this link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rnoACXfMpVYX8DVhFtOylv5sBTfD4dJv/view?usp=sharing

It has a few more levels, and features some important changes in all levels of the demo. This should be more enjoyable now.

Level 1 : music glitch was fixed + minor level design changes.
Level 2 : tile glitch fixed + minor level design changes
Level 3 : started again from scratch (shop glitch fixed as there's no more shop lol)
Level 4 : minor level design changes
Level 5 : minor level design changes
Level 6 : minor level design changes
Level 7 : now available
Level 8 : now available (even though mostly a big joke)

Many thanks to Tibonev who quickly found out what the bug with music was and fixed it. And many thanks to badsector_83 who helped me re-design level 3 and make the game a lot better.

We're still working on the palettes (I'm colorblind and have no CRT on which to test the game), and should soon come back here to show you alternatives on that matter.
Update
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:50 pm
Pinkeye wrote

Thanks Pinkeye - only just playing this hack properly now and was going to ask about the music but I see you have updated this from the notes..
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:49 pm
SteveProXNA wrote
Pinkeye wrote

Thanks Pinkeye - only just playing this hack properly now and was going to ask about the music but I see you have updated this from the notes..

Yup, there was some problem with the loop in the first version, resulting in high-pitched notes that were really hard to bear lol. But I hadn't noticed it as I most often play on mute to avoid waking up my babies!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:13 am
Okay, version 1.2 is now available. Minor bugs fixed and difficulty adjusted in level 6.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:01 am
Version 1.3 is now available, with small corrections, but also a new secret level.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:59 am
I think the trigger boxes for ghosts in the pyamid area are really wide! Could there be a graphical hint of where they are in a future revision ? Because I cannot understand where to jump, and always activate the ghosts...

I mean, if that was the goal, then I'll get my savestates ready :P

(Also I found the secret link in the level haha, I had to pause my emulator to get it :D )
Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:52 am
armixer24 wrote
I think the trigger boxes for ghosts in the pyamid area are really wide! Could there be a graphical hint of where they are in a future revision ? Because I cannot understand where to jump, and always activate the ghosts...

I mean, if that was the goal, then I'll get my savestates ready :P

(Also I found the secret link in the level haha, I had to pause my emulator to get it :D )

That was the goal, sorry. it's a chase level, you have to run, not to try to find ways to avoid running ! It needs to be adjusted, sure, but the whole point of this level is to force the player to react quickly.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!