Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - How to Program Sega Game Gear Rom flash to Chip SST39SF040

Reply to topic
How to Program Sega Game Gear Rom flash to Chip SST39SF040
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:52 am
Hello. I am new to the forum and tried searching for an answer but was unable to do so. Thus, I decided to make a quick post to see if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have a TL866II Plus EEPROM programmer. I am trying to get Sylvan Tale (English translation) rom, which has a ".gg" file extension, flashed to SST39SF040. I found a site Mortoff Games that sell a Sega Game Gear PCB and I have one.

What I need help with is understanding if there is anything special in taking the .gg game ROM and flashing the chip with it.

I appreciate any help.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:03 pm
Looking at the instructions for the PCB you bought the creator says "no expanding or padding the rom is needed" so I guess you don't have to worry about that.

It looks like you have to bend the pins after programming the chip to solder it in place. You won't be able to bend the pins back (they'll very likely break off) if you made a mistake and have to reprogram the chip, so I'd be careful. Unless you have a few more SST39SF040's to spare.

In the TL866 software you can do this:

1. Select the SST39SF040 device
2. Load the game gear ROM file
3. Program the flash chip
4. Verify the flash chip
5. Take the chip out, and place it back in, and verify it again

If it still verifies OK both times then you're probably good to go.

I'd definitely read through the instructions for the PCB a few times to be sure you've done all the configuration steps necessary.
Thanks
Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:09 pm
Thank you for the reply, I'll give it a shot.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:16 am
My suggestion would be to buy a bag of cheap 32 pin DIP sockets and bend and solder the legs on that to the board.

That way you can just plug the IC in once you've mucked around with getting the socket mounted.

It also means you can reprogram the chip easily in case it doesn't work!

That's unless you want to put it in an (SMS) cartridge enclosure in which case the height of the socket and IC might foul the enclosure. But since this is for the GG I assume you're not bothering with an enclosure.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!