8 11% 11%
9 33% 33%
10 (Excellent) 40% 40%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding Competition 2022] Green Beret Remake by eruiz00
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:37 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/GreenBeretRemake-SMS

Green Beret, also known as Rush'N Attack, is a Konami game released in 1985 on the arcades and later ported to several home systems. But it was never released for the Sega Master System back then. Until now! A dream come true for me, to finally be able to release this remake on the system.

Featuring:
- All the stages from the original (Missile Base, Harbor, Bridge and Prison Camp), with the respective end of level bosses and cut scenes.
- All the major enemies (foot soldier, armed blue enemy, jumping guy, mortar-equipped enemy, crawling soldier, paratroopers etc).
- Two secondary weapons of the arcade (flamethrower and bazooka) as well as the main knife.
- Several configuration options, with two difficulty modes for real soldiers or cowards, high score saving.
- All my love for Green Beret and, generally, the 80’s gaming releases and history.

Why:
One month ago, i visited the Arcade Vintage Museum at Ibi (Alicante), an amazing building full of art pieces, such old pinball machines, old computers, and full of original arcade machines. Played Taito, Konami, Capcom, Irem and Sega jewels like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Commando, Black Tiger, Out Run, Twin Cobra or Shinobi :)...
But the replay, after so many years, which took my heart more deeply were Green Beret. Incredible ten minutes for me. That night I planned to begin the remake, and see how many efforts and time I would need to take it to life.
One month after (less than expected), I present for the competition my Green Beret Remake. After so many bad (BAD!) remakes out there (like the horrible MSX version), I think this remake is not too bad... but it's up to you. Please play and enjoy it like I did and remember those old, good, playable times, like I do.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:55 pm
Very good game! Congrats!
Perfect Game
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:56 am
I tested so much this remake, that I could finish it in hard mode without dying even once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0J-i7Z8ag
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:50 am
Wow ! I am impressed. Bravo eruiz00!

As usual you offer us here a very finalized game, very nice work.

I didn't know the original game. Just saw the video and the arcade feeling of this remake is really present.

I can't wait to play it !
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:55 pm
Superb!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:57 pm
Great work as your other games ;)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:02 am
Finished! Faithfull to arcade. Congratulations!
If it could have other soundtracks as Amiga and Nes would be more nicer (mucho mejor lo que ya es).
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:34 pm
I don't know this game (yeah I know, shoot me)

I just played 2 stages of this and then watched a playthrough of the arcade.

You're a miracle worker.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:15 pm
Excellent port, and remarkably close to the original. You even kept the weird "push up to jump" mechanic that makes it more suited to playing with a stick than a pad.

eruiz00 wrote
I tested so much this remake, that I could finish it in hard mode without dying even once!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0J-i7Z8ag

Impressive! But how can you even play with the mouse pointer hanging in the middle of the screen? That would drive me nuts within seconds, lol.
Classic arcade game
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:13 pm
I remember seeing / playing Green Beret at the arcades back in the day but never got very far with it - so will try again here. Really appreciate the game controls that "Up" doubles up as both go up the ladder or jump depending and run n' jump nice and smooth. The graphics are nice - remind me of Mission 2 of Shinobi at the Enemy's Hide Out.

I keep dying on the angled bomb trajectory when up on the wall thinking I am on the background plane :) I found that it's a good idea to try and kill the enemies as far away as possible because you don't realize how quickly they attack! I see the Pause button is wired up which also helps a lot - Another great entry from eruiz...!

Oh, the box art is cool man - it looks like a sad Charlie Brown if he was ever in the army...
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:36 pm
This is a really good game in its own right. Then I compared to the arcade version on Youtube... The faithfulness is really impressive, it really looks like a legitimate port of the thing that could have been released back then.

Maybe... there's a lot of gray in the graphics, compared to the arcade version... could be more colourful, but that's it, I think.
Also that game is hard, but that's more a problem with me!

Good work!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:36 am
Great work and great port! I also did not know about the arcade version, and have never played this game in any form before. Had to watch a youtube longplay of the arcade, and your port holds up very well. It could easily have passed for an official port back in the days.

Good thing you included the "troop"-option. I found it after some attempts, and it really helped me to get into the rythm of dealing with the different enemies.

Nothing beats the commando soldiers of the 80's: They will infiltrate various enemy bases, packed with enemy soldiers, and pack only the trusted knife. :)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:01 pm
This is an incredible port for such a short amount of time to work on it. How did you ever do it? :)

I remember this game from the arcade when I was a kid. I would love to play this on real hardware.

I do wonder though if a little more variation / vibrancy in colour could be squeezed out of the SMS?
Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:37 pm
Great game you've done.

I'm still as bad as I was on amstrad :)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:00 am
Gotta say, I was half-expecting the music from the NES version to be in here. It wouldn't have be accurate to the arcade game that this remake is trying to follow, but that soundtrack really adds a lot to the experience :)
Technical facts
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:31 pm
Last edited by eruiz00 on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ummmm ... Some technical issues i had during the dev:

I began the 28 february, having returned to my home.

Then I downloaded the maps from the arcade (i dont remember .. maybe vgmaps) and converted to the mas ter system palette. Got 13 colours in total. These are the images to pass to bmp2tile to obtain tilesets

Next, i got the tilemaps.... The most demanding stage is the first, which require 240 tiles, using the mirror feature. I didnt want to use so much tiles because i was thinking in the truck and the scores.

I developed two tools. One run the scene from left to right and, keeping the number of tiles at minimum, generate a set of tiles for each scrolll step, and calculate the tiles which need to be replaced maintaining the screen without graphical errors. If you debug the game with emulicious, you will see how it replaces tiles eventually, as you are running along the scene. I think i could make a shmup without have to reload full tilesets, something like slapfight' by example' with this technique

If you check the size of the screens you will find that some (not remember) does not fit in a bank. I used a tool made for astroforce which check for duplicate columns (rows in astroforce) and make an 1d array to sace space. After this, all stages fit, each in a bank.

That is because, at first i tryed to use my old 16x16 engine, but quickly i i saw that ladders did not have coincidence with the 16x16 pattern, and i wanted to keep the scenes like the arcade.

Then i decided to make a new engine. If you see the maps, you will see there are only 3 platform levels (at pixels 80 128 and 176. The collision is using a tilemap of X x 3 tiles. Each tile has 8x48 pixels size...

The tilemap collision checking is only with ladders, and floors (no walls) so it does not consume too much time.

I have to left now, this evening i will finish this log. The sprites an the sound had interesting issues too.

Regards.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:29 pm
armixer24 wrote

Maybe... there's a lot of gray in the graphics, compared to the arcade version... could be more colourful, but that's it, I think

Oh my god.... The light blue (celeste) sky has been lost during the month.... I will fix and release a rom. My pngs have the blue sky!

In fact, this weekend will fix the sky, the top two rows not hiding the sprites issue, and i would like to put a proper (the famous sprite of junp and kick) sprite for the jump of yellow wear soldiers.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:17 pm
Fantastic homebrew!, I suggest to improve the hit graphic since the Arcade version the graphic is notorious and help to keep track of the character position in the game besides the graphic last more frames, as long as no other enemy is hit. It was funny and challenging when Konami was top notch of third parties released this game never going to happen to SMS due to the chains of the N company.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:27 pm
Comparison already released! LOL

I said before that i love rpgs and i knew a member that could easily do it. This member mentioned were eruiz00. He have good text, he make good graphics and have good humour to create a great plot. Maybe rpgs dont fit in style of him. Other member that could do great homebrews did one post here only. @turborayx is an excellent dev but he is more focused in PC Engine Scenario. Who knows someday he could show the talent in SMS scene?
Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:06 am
eruiz00 - Will you be doing any physical copies yet please?

eruiz00 wrote
armixer24 wrote

Maybe... there's a lot of gray in the graphics, compared to the arcade version... could be more colourful, but that's it, I think

Oh my god.... The light blue (celeste) sky has been lost during the month.... I will fix and release a rom. My pngs have the blue sky!

In fact, this weekend will fix the sky, the top two rows not hiding the sprites issue, and i would like to put a proper (the famous sprite of junp and kick) sprite for the jump of yellow wear soldiers.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
On Mednafen, Green Beret generates a continuous Audio hiss.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:06 am
On Mednafen, Green Beret generates a continuous Audio hiss. The game plays fine, but the constant tone is horrible. I think this is a bug, Mednafen has support for FM Sound, can this create problems?
Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:13 pm
Made a custom cover for this. Custom covers are something I'm prone to make from time to time.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!