Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Power Base Converter issue.

Reply to topic
Power Base Converter issue.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:33 pm
Hello!

Sorry if it isn't exactly SMS... I need some deeper help.

My Power Base Converter is displaying corrupted game visuals. I've cleaned all the contacts and confirmed the games work on Master System. The base Genesis works perfectly otherwise. What could be the issue?

Others suggested its the power supply, but I'm using a brand new Triad power supply that's supposed to be as good as the original, according to the Bob from RetroRGB.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:39 pm
Do the corrupt graphics look identical each time you reset or are they different each time? (different pieces scrambled/missing)

If they do look the same after each reset, if you remove and re-insert the cartridge does it look different then?

BTW what upscaler are you using? The picture looks amazing.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:04 pm
Charles MacDonald wrote
Do the corrupt graphics look identical each time you reset or are they different each time? (different pieces scrambled/missing)

If they do look the same after each reset, if you remove and re-insert the cartridge does it look different then?

BTW what upscaler are you using? The picture looks amazing.

I'm using HD Retrovision component cables to a self-built GBS-Control, and yeah, I've never seen Genesis/Master System so damn good, haha.

Okay, so, I just double checked and the corruptions are different each time. Sometimes they are the same after power cycle without removing the cart, but mostly different each time and games are seemingly crashing sooner or don't even get to the title screen.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:36 am
I just got my power base converter out to test and it is doing the same thing. Corrupted tiles but otherwise still functioning.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:00 am
Interesting issue. The PBC is esentially just a passive adapter. There is a small micro that sets up the stack pointer at boot time before passing control over to the game cart. I wonder if that has failed, or is crashing, and is then putting data on the bus randomly when it shouldnt be?
Update!
Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:31 pm
So, an update, as it might help others.

I explained the situation to a repair shop I have rapport with and sent it to them (did great work on my Saturn). While he did have to do some recapping, we found out the unit still worked as intended and the shop did extensive and long testing with it to make sure it continued to work.

He returned it to me and still, the same issue. With some back and forth, we determined it was likely my Genesis. I don't have another Model 1 to test to 100% confirm it, but its likely the Master System side of my Genesis is wonky or maybe whatever caps on that side is dying. If anything specific, maybe the SMS BIOS? I triple checked my games to make sure they worked on the SMS, they do.

Maybe if I find another thrift store Model 1 I'll pick it up, or I visit a friend with one, I'll see what happens, but for now, I don't feel like taking apart my Tower of Power to run anymore tests while my Master System is working perfectly.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:54 am
What part of the world are you located in?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:04 am
SavagePencil wrote
What part of the world are you located in?

USA.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!