Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic 1 ported to the C64?

Reply to topic
Sonic 1 ported to the C64?
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:18 am
Last edited by 386DX on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 am; edited 6 times in total
Hello,

I was reading a news that the first SMS version of Sonic has been ported by a programmer (credits below) on the C64 computer with the help of a 256K REU expansion, and the result seems amazing considered the limitations.
Have you seen it? What's your opinion of their result technically? I'm honestly impressed by what they could do beside as said the ram expansion seems a bit more than porting would usually be expected to need. :)

Link of the coder video released:
C64 demoscene page: https://csdb.dk
Discussion/Coder: https://csdb.dk/forums/?roomid=10&topicid=153904#154176
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:28 am
The extra memory isn’t really needed, the expansion is only needed to enable faster updates of the screen. Watching the videos, it looks like the physics is kind of janky in places. It’s still a great achievement though.
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:38 am
Maxim wrote
The extra memory isn’t really needed, the expansion is only needed to enable faster updates of the screen. Watching the videos, it looks like the physics is kind of janky in places. It’s still a great achievement though.

I think the expansion is asked anyway at the loading and I wonder if it run without it at all cause seems like a requirement. Anyway I wasn't expecting this. There were some last platform games that looked similar to such graphic on the C64 but I always considered Sonic to be an heavy SMS/GG optimized game (that sometimes even the official platforms has difficult time to mantain frame rate in some places) and to see that on the C64 it's something. Now I'd like to expect someone that release some more original Mega Drive games ported to the SMS with similar graphic as an answer to that. :D
Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:45 pm
Maxim wrote
Watching the videos, it looks like the physics is kind of janky in places.

I played the full game and had a rough time dealing with Dr. Eggman in certain boss battles where you can't really use the same collision gimmicks of the Master System version, because of this. It's especially noticeable in the Bridge and Labyrinth bosses.

Other than this and some missing scrolling hazards (Bridge Zone Act 2 which doesn't chase you anymore and Jungle Zone Act 2 which is pretty much like the Game Gear version) and some missing animations (ie, the Dr. Eggman impact ones), it's a great replication nonetheless.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!