Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SF-7000 mirrors

Reply to topic
SF-7000 mirrors
Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:57 am
The manual reports the standard IO ports for the SF-7000.
However, it makes sense to assume that the address decoding logic is reduced to the minimum possible.
MAME has no mirrors. See the output of this simple program. I would however assume that in the actual hardware there are mirrors, as shown in the "mirrored.png" picture. Does anyone have a real SF-7000 to test?
mirrored.png (4.21 KB)
mirrored.png
mame.png (13.53 KB)
mame.png

It's mirrored.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:21 pm
kamillebidan wrote
The manual reports the standard IO ports for the SF-7000.
However, it makes sense to assume that the address decoding logic is reduced to the minimum possible.
MAME has no mirrors. See the output of this simple program. I would however assume that in the actual hardware there are mirrors, as shown in the "mirrored.png" picture. Does anyone have a real SF-7000 to test?

It's mirrored but software doesn't use any other ports except E0-E9. Your test could output strange results because not every port in that range is an input port.
inbound4229378677782417740.png (56.29 KB)
SC/SF Port mapping
inbound4229378677782417740.png

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:03 pm
Is this table derived from the real hardware or just on speculation as I did above?
Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:52 pm
kamillebidan wrote
Is this table derived from the real hardware or just on speculation as I did above?

Chip selection of SF-7000 is done using one side of a 74LS139. Only A4-A2 address pins are used. Picture from real hardware.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:35 pm
Ah, so there’s effectively three inconsistent chip selection mechanisms tied to those bits and it requires some care from the software to set the irrelevant bits consistently. However, as is often the case with emulation, implementing the appropriate logic is as simple as bit masks and sometimes combining values as they collide on the bus.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:20 pm
Maxim wrote
Ah, so there’s effectively three inconsistent chip selection mechanisms tied to those bits and it requires some care from the software to set the irrelevant bits consistently. However, as is often the case with emulation, implementing the appropriate logic is as simple as bit masks and sometimes combining values as they collide on the bus.

Exactly. Consistency is done in software ensuring A7-A5 address bits to 1.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:04 pm
siriokds wrote
kamillebidan wrote

Chip selection of SF-7000 is done using one side of a 74LS139. Only A4-A2 address pins are used. Picture from real hardware.

Did you get an SF-7000? Congratulations!
Or is it just the publicly available picture? From seeing the 74LS139 that was my supposition as well (hence the first screenshot) but, as you may have seen, most of the connections of those gates go under the ICs and the traces cannot be traced just from the publicly available pics.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!