Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MSX to SMS Hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:56 pm
The authors of some of the homebrew titles do not take kindly to this unauthorized distribution and sale of their work

https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/msxdev-games-being-convert...

Please don't sell or otherwise distribute the patched ROMs without permission from the owners
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:48 pm
@Revo: "Again, the everdrive I'm selling will have no rom in it. You can found all the conversions for free on internet, I don't see why selling them. "

This may be technically true it is a misrepresentation of the dynamic at play. People who will buy that Everdrive package for you will buy it for the purpose of using that pack of roms, the physical package drives its value from that free digital package. At that point, some creators may feel this is not a pleasant situation. They also seem to be displeased of those hasty conversions if they are working on something. I think they should be respected without the snark.

At a policy we want to avoid stepping on the toes of active efforts. Promoting the availability of that's new Dracula commercial game on your YT channel is off-limit IHMO.

As a policy, deleting old contents (unless actively requested by an author) is strongly discouraged it goes against our values of preservation, we like to version things. (But it's not super important)

@Revo: "I'm out too, please Maxim delete my account, until further notice, I'll only post my work on Master System France forum."

Done. You can recreate an account later if you like to.

PS: With bsittler we are now working on dumping and emulating and large amount of Korean multicarts, so brace yourself for hundreds~thousands of conversions done in the nineties by Korean hackers.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:13 pm
My apologies are due, Revo, as I missed that the ROMs aren't included in the sale and that seems like a better situation by far. However distribution of the patched ROMs themselves seems problematic still especially since their creators are active, reachable, and weren't involved in the release afaik

I hope to work with you again, and I definitely admire your hard work in converting so much software for this strange "MSX cousin" hardware. However it must be done in a way that recognizes and protects the interests of the creators
Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:24 pm
bsittler wrote
The authors of some of the homebrew titles do not take kindly to this unauthorized distribution and sale of their work

https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/msxdev-games-being-convert...

Please don't sell or otherwise distribute the patched ROMs without permission from the owners

I will post some opinions from msx dev/users:

This is not a problem of time but a lack of will and respect. The makers get no opportunity to even do some quality checks or to suggest improvements, let alone the opportunity to object or do the port themselves because they are interested in SMS development as well (maybe not anymore thanks to you!). You tell them off when they complain about it, and you expect that to go over well with the MSX community?

This is bad.

I am currently exploring other 8 bit platforms, but SMS will definitely not be one of them after this incident. Not because of the piracy, but because it showed that system must be very similar. That means that ports will still take a lot of time to get it done right, while their expectations will be much higher.

This is very very bad.

Well, if the games are freeware and they put those files online for free I don´t think this could be a problem, but selling those roms in a cartridge making a notorious and obvious profit without authors' permission is a theft and an act of true piracy.

This is very very very bad. Worst.

At start when the 1st msx dev came and protested about a conversion i was thinking that were exaggerated but dura lex sed lex. Although i think that some MSX homebrews are not worth. Now the thing is different.

However i think that work done by Revo in past years were excellent (conversions with no profit). Situation simple to solve: ask to devs permission to conversion.

@Revo: "Again, the everdrive I'm selling will have no rom in it. You can found all the conversions for free on internet, I don't see why selling them. "

This may be technically true it is a misrepresentation of the dynamic at play. People who will buy that Everdrive package for you will buy it for the purpose of using that pack of roms, the physical package drives its value from that free digital package. At that point, some creators may feel this is not a pleasant situation. They also seem to be displeased of those hasty conversions if they are working on something. I think they should be respected without the snark.

At a policy we want to avoid stepping on the toes of active efforts. Promoting the availability of that's new Dracula commercial game on your YT channel is off-limit IHMO.

As a policy, deleting old contents (unless actively requested by an author) is strongly discouraged it goes against our values of preservation, we like to version things. (But it's not super important)

@Revo: "I'm out too, please Maxim delete my account, until further notice, I'll only post my work on Master System France forum."

Done. You can recreate an account later if you like to.

PS: With bsittler we are now working on dumping and emulating and large amount of Korean multicarts, so brace yourself for hundreds~thousands of conversions done in the nineties by Korean hackers.

I had some conversations in past with @Bock (In truth so few). Sometimes i agree with decisions/opinions of him, sometimes i disagree with bock´s decisions/opinions but this time i think that he is correct.
The "MSX to SMS Hacks" Disaster of a thread
Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:31 pm
Last edited by ThatDamnCatgirl on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
C'mon guys. I turn my back away from this thread for a while and when I comeback I find it evolved into a shitshow. Should've stuck to the offical MSX1 games before dipping into MSX Homebrew.

Arya MSX homebrew game author
Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:48 pm
Hi guys, I'm the author of the game Arya for MSX, which was included in this collection.
I would say the conversion is not very faithful to the original.

If anyone would like to see the game as it was created, look at Youtube video: yWkbT_hB1ss

Thanks
Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:16 am
albs_br wrote
Hi guys, I'm the author of the game Arya for MSX, which was included in this collection.
I would say the conversion is not very faithful to the original.

If anyone would like to see the game as it was created, look at Youtube video: yWkbT_hB1ss

Thanks

Welcome! I just watched it, had never seen this before but it looks really nice. I'm a fan of these puzzle games :)

Is there any chance you will sell an MSX cartridge of it?

In these video modes the subtle use of color here really requires an MSX or TMS VDP, or at least the color palette configuration of a Game Gear. I think for it to look this good on an SMS it would need to be rewritten to use the Sega-specific video modes unfortunately

For whatever it's worth we can already get a nearly-MSX-quality color rendition on Game Gear conversions in TMS video modes, but that isn't reflected in most emulators yet since AFAIK none of the official titles from the Game Gear's commercial Sega release era used these modes (emulicious can be configured to show it accurately, though)

edit: thanks to your generously open-source repository at https://github.com/albs-br/arya TIL about the 8bitworkshop IDE which supports MSX and SMS development among many others! https://8bitworkshop.com/v3.8.0/?platform=sms-sms-libcv

edit 2: relevant thread about Arya on msx forums (I'm still way behind on msxdev entries!) https://www.msx.org/news/challenges/en/msxdev21-34-arya
Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 pm
Hey guys, hope this forum ain't dead. I need some help here, I tried to do a Konami MegaROM game, and that is King's Valley 2. I did exactly what the Zemina mappers did and I converted the game well, but it's not showing anything. Either I did something wrong or what, but if you guys want to fix it, here. I have some other games that I'm also trying to get working too.
King's Valley 2.zip (73.24 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:25 pm
Hello ,
very good job for KINGS VALLEY 2 MEGAROM

Is it possible to do a version that work on real hardware (EVERDRIVE) ?
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:27 pm
msx45 wrote
Hello ,
very good job for KINGS VALLEY 2 MEGAROM

Is it possible to do a version that work on real hardware (EVERDRIVE) ?

Good... Job?
Did it work for you?
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:58 pm
I test only on real hardware (doesn't work)

I believe it works on emulator
I know converting a MEGAROM is a lot of work ....
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:46 pm
I would imagine not the least of which is that, as I recall, MSX mappers often had 8KB bank size, while the standard Sega mapper is a 16KB bank size.
An issue if games didn't swap them in pairs.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:36 pm
KingMike wrote
I would imagine not the least of which is that, as I recall, MSX mappers often had 8KB bank size, while the standard Sega mapper is a 16KB bank size.
An issue if games didn't swap them in pairs.

I know, the fact is that I'm using Zemina's MSX mappers that actually work like the MSX mappers.
https://www.smspower.org/Development/Mappers
Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:10 am
I'm redoing Penguin Adventure for USA, Japan, and Europe. I did what both bsittler and Revo did. I'm not using the Zemina mappers, this time, I'm using the Sega mappers. I wonder if it was the sound method, or something wrong with it, it's showing the blue screen which Konami always shows. But here, if you guys want to check it, go ahead.
Penguin Adventure.zip (334.09 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:42 pm
Here's Rise Out from Dungeons.

SMS to MSX?
Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:02 pm
Why don't we start a side project to this that tries to port SMS games to MSX as an apology to the MSX Comunity?
Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:09 pm
ThatDamnCatgirl wrote
Why don't we start a side project to this that tries to port SMS games to MSX as an apology to the MSX Comunity?

Erm- Welp, that's already possible using Franky / Playsoniq. Unless if you are talking about actual converting to the MSX, then that would take a crapload of understanding the VDPs, sounds, and controls. The sound chips should take a little bit of time to understand how they both work, and so does the controllers, the fact is that the VDP might not be possible to convert to the MSX2 or higher, neither when you put the MSX2 or higher on the SMS, it still wouldn't work.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:05 pm
Also that SMS doesn't have a BIOS (that is able to be utilized by game code) whereas MSX does.
Makes a pretty huge compatibility issue, especially if real hardware is concerned.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:43 pm
KingMike wrote
Also that SMS doesn't have a BIOS (that is able to be utilized by game code) whereas MSX does.
Makes a pretty huge compatibility issue, especially if real hardware is concerned.

Well, I tried doing SMS to MSX before, and to my mind, it actually doesn't need a BIOS, it can be just a game without a BIOS. I didn't get the VDP to work though.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:51 pm
So, coming back to the MSX2SMS stuff, I now just realized how to use the pause button for the system, thanks to this: https://www.smspower.org/Development/PauseButton
It so might happen that there is going to be a pause feature in the latest C-BIOS.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:40 pm
MSX2 to sms?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:19 pm
Hey, is it possible to port MSX2 games to the SMS?

Example: (Super Mario World, Vampire Killer, Metal Gear, Pac-Mania, Dragon Buster, Puyo Puyo, Final Fantasy, Super Lode Runner, Contra)

From what I know there seems to be a hack for Vampire Killer that turns the game into a port of the NES castlevaina, and I found some footage of the hack:
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:37 pm
Master Tom Cat wrote

Example: (Super Mario World, Vampire Killer, Metal Gear, Pac-Mania, Dragon Buster, Puyo Puyo, Final Fantasy, Super Lode Runner, Contra)

From what I know there seems to be a hack for Vampire Killer that turns the game into a port of the NES castlevaina, and I found some footage of the hack:

Y'know, we've been trying to do that, and people are saying that it somewhat isn't possible due to the VDP. I mean, it seems to have a little bit of similarities in their code. I'ma see if I can try to make some of the games work on the Game Gear or the SMS.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:40 pm
Master Tom Cat wrote

It's not impossible, but it would require a considerable amount of rework on the graphic subroutines.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:51 pm
haroldoop wrote
Master Tom Cat wrote

It's not impossible, but it would require a considerable amount of rework on the graphic subroutines.

Oh ok, thanks, at least it can be done, I'm hoping that Contra or Super Mario World get ported to the SMS from the MSX2 first.
But anyhow, here's some footage of the MSX2 version of Super Mario World I found on YouTube but the footage has FM audio though:
Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:31 am
Stokes wrote
Master Tom Cat wrote

Y'know, we've been trying to do that, and people are saying that it somewhat isn't possible due to the VDP. I mean, it seems to have a little bit of similarities in their code. I'ma see if I can try to make some of the games work on the Game Gear or the SMS.

YAY!! Thank You
Tetris for MSX2
Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:05 am
Last edited by Master Tom Cat on Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
So B.P.S. made an official version of Tetris for MSX2
Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone needed a starting point for MSX2 to SMS hacks
Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:56 pm
Stokes wrote
Hey guys, hope this forum ain't dead. I need some help here, I tried to do a Konami MegaROM game, and that is King's Valley 2. I did exactly what the Zemina mappers did and I converted the game well, but it's not showing anything. Either I did something wrong or what, but if you guys want to fix it, here. I have some other games that I'm also trying to get working too.

Maybe try using a Sega mapper
Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:46 pm
Depending on mapper usage that can result in n-squared inflation of the ROM size BTW due to needing to represent each possible pair of 8KB pages as a separate 16KB page. Of course in many cases only a small subset of combinations is actually used so you can reduce that, but that means you still might need a mapping table lookup to determine which 16KB page to load based on the corresponding two 8KB page numbers. It is fairly easy but consumes more precious CPU cycles and ROM for the table lookup

BTW same technique and data table can help folks over in MSX-land if they want to use it with a 16KB memory mapper like ASCII16
Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:13 pm
can you make the rom available?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:33 pm
Here's a MSX2GG hack of Knightmare. Also, I figured out how to load the C-BIOS logo when doing 32kB MSX games.
One more thing: I actually ran Knightmare (C-BIOS) on the SG-1000 / II, and it works, how the heck is that even possible? After all the years doing this, it finally works!
Edit: Y'know, I just figured out why this happens now, it's because of the Sega mappers that is being used.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:11 am
Here's a patch to run Relevo's Snowboarding on the Game Gear. All you have to do is patch it to the original MSX ROM.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:32 am
Here's a new kind of MSX conversion that I am doing as well as putting this on the MSX itself. The Spectravideo SVI-318 / 328. This is just a demo test to see if Flipper Slipper would work on here, and so it did. The SVI-3X8 is like an MSX, but it's not. The ports are set differently, like the PPI, VDP, and PSG, and it doesn't even run MSX games like an actual MSX, it runs actual ROMs of its own. I put this game on the Game Gear to give it a go on here. So, enjoy. Also, if you miss the ball, it will repeatedly loop the death screen.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:08 pm
Here's an SVI-3x8 conversion of Super Cross Force.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:03 pm
Here's where you can run it on the SMS and the SG-1000.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 pm
Here's another SV to Sega conversion, Sector Alpha. I don't know if it's the menu screen that refuses to load when I press a button or something breaks, but I might try to fix it.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:19 am
Here's another SVI-3x8 conversion, Frantic Freddy.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:57 pm
Revo wrote
May the 4th be with you!

Proper conversion of Gradius - Nemesis with Konami logo.

Thanks to bsittler for his work on mappers.

Also including 5 patch to hack the game, you can apply multiple patch.

This is what the game look like with 5 patch^^

where is this twinbe rom
Draconic Throne SG-1000/SC-3000 SiRioKD MSX2SC BIOS
Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:26 am
This is my first release with my MSX2SC BIOS.

Draconic Throne SG-1000/SC-3000 repatched from AlexBr1975 with my MSX2SC BIOS. Joystick and SK-1100 keyboard supported. Tnx to Rèvo for the patched ROM.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:18 am
@Stokes im very very interested in play:
F-1 Spirit: The Way to Formula 1
Im not got ir running in my hardware (SMS 1/BR/Chinese Everdrive). I tried the MSX 2SMS rom and the Korean SMS rom. I think that problem is with 1Mbyte limit with everdrive. What you can do about turn the game feasible for my conf?
Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:20 am
siriokds wrote
This is my first release with my MSX2SC BIOS.

Draconic Throne SG-1000/SC-3000 repatched from AlexBr1975 with my MSX2SC BIOS. Joystick and SK-1100 keyboard supported. Tnx to Rèvo for the patched ROM.

It's been a while. Wow, you managed to MSX2SMS into MSX2SC? Cool! I gotta try this out.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:23 am
segarule wrote
@Stokes im very very interested in play:
F-1 Spirit: The Way to Formula 1
Im not got ir running in my hardware (SMS 1/BR/Chinese Everdrive). I tried the MSX 2SMS rom and the Korean SMS rom. I think that problem is with 1Mbyte limit with everdrive. What you can do about turn the game feasible for my conf?

I'ma see about this.
Elevator Action, Arknoid 1, 1942 MSX2SMS
Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:01 pm
Good evening for all Team!

It´s possible this games above convert MSX to SMS?
1- Elevator Action
2- 1942
3- Arknoid 1

Congratulations for all TEAM develpment convertion MSX1 to SMS!!!
Peace and Harmony for all!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:55 pm
Blank wrote
Good evening for all Team!

It´s possible this games above convert MSX to SMS?
1- Elevator Action
2- 1942
3- Arknoid 1

Congratulations for all TEAM develpment convertion MSX1 to SMS!!!
Peace and Harmony for all!

Hi, as I might start to get back on track on returning to do MSX2SMS, I have some games in plan of converting right now, Elevator Action and Arkanoid had problems running on the system, but I do know that it doesn't have a problem running on the Sega SF-7000. For 1942, I have got it working without changes, but it's glitchy. I will do some changes for the mappers in the game.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:37 pm
I actually accomplished something today. I've finally converted a MegaROM game to the SMS, and it ain't any kind of other MegaROM games you be thinking, I converted Geppo's Freedom Fighter to the SMS. It basically used the ASCII 16kB mapper, which means it was compatible with the SMS's mappers with a change. Controls don't respond, but it works either way.
Edit: I think this ASC16 game might have some SRAM, so it might not work stably.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:13 am
Here's a proper Eggerland Mystery conversion.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:05 pm
I know that Donkey Kong isn't possible to port to the SMS (not exactly sure why though) but I wonder if Mario Bros. is possible? Yeah it's a poor port with almost Sonic-like momentum physics, but it's still pretty fun! I say that the multiplayer would feel better with playing with two comfy controllers. Hahaha
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:27 pm
Greenknight9000 wrote
I know that Donkey Kong isn't possible to port to the SMS (not exactly sure why though) but I wonder if Mario Bros. is possible? Yeah it's a poor port with almost Sonic-like momentum physics, but it's still pretty fun! I say that the multiplayer would feel better with playing with two comfy controllers. Hahaha

I could try to port DK. Also, Brother Adventure (if that's what you're talking about) is possible.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:17 pm
Stokes wrote
Greenknight9000 wrote

I could try to port DK. Also, Brother Adventure (if that's what you're talking about) is possible.

Oh! That'd be great! Thank you!
And I actually was misremembering the Mario Bros port and was thinking about the Amstrad version of Mario Bros. Derp - though there IS a homebrew Colecovision port of Mario Bros that might be able to be ported some day?

I also mentioned the MSX port of Popeye and was wondering if that can be done, since I'm quite an avid player of the Colecovision version of Popeye, which is what the MSX port is based on
Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:57 am
Greenknight9000 wrote
Stokes wrote
Greenknight9000 wrote

Oh! That'd be great! Thank you!
And I actually was misremembering the Mario Bros port and was thinking about the Amstrad version of Mario Bros. Derp - though there IS a homebrew Colecovision port of Mario Bros that might be able to be ported some day?

I also mentioned the MSX port of Popeye and was wondering if that can be done, since I'm quite an avid player of the Colecovision version of Popeye, which is what the MSX port is based on

Well CV Popeye was ported and can be seen in this topic: https://www.smspower.org/forums/9867-SG1000ToColecoVisionPorts
I might plan on porting CV Mayro Bros. (trying to be less n-----don't for the Sega community) to the Sega system.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!