Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Color Palette with proper indices

Reply to topic
Color Palette with proper indices
Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:59 pm
Hey all, I've been using aseprite to make my graphics a lot, and I had a really hard time finding an image that I could create a palette with that had the colors in the proper order for the Master System's index, system, so I made one myself. Nothing too fancy, just a 16x4 image so that the color index in aseprite matches with the SMS.

Hope this is helpful!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:22 pm
I'm not using aseprite, but you inspired me to sort the colors in different ways. Hopefully it will be useful for someone too.

I'm not a color expert, so certain sorting may not make any sense :). I'm not sure what sort by value does for example.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:43 am
slogra wrote

I'm not a color expert, so certain sorting may not make any sense :). I'm not sure what sort by value does for example.

Whoa! This is a brilliant idea! These will be so helpful from the artistic side of game-design. I think I'll set one of these as the default palette, use that all of my artwork, then re-order the palette before indexing to help with the ease of coding.

Big thanks!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:51 am
I did the sorting in The Gimp. But it still looks a bit random to me.

I think one of the problem might be that there are only 4 different values for each rgb channel, so i while sorting many colors end up having the same sort value.

Also I presume the human eye precieves the colors differently than the math behind the sorting.

And the colors are simply sorted from left to right. Your palette look much better.

Maybe anyone known a better way?
Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:05 pm
slogra wrote

Maybe anyone known a better way?

Maybe sorting by color in addition to hue/saturation etc.? That way we have a list of all reds in ascending brightness, all greens, all blues etc. Not sure how to do that aside from just manually
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:52 pm
Fundamentally you have a three-dimensional colour cube and any ordered 1-D or 2-D representation will be wrong for some use. The same apples for colour pickers at any bit depth. Ordering by hue and/or lightness just changes the way you look at it, and picking a palette of 16 colours is another level of difficulty on top anyway…
Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:35 am
Palette with hex values
palette_hex.png (7.69 KB)
palette_hex.png

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!