SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Detecting VDP mode 4 availability

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Detecting VDP mode 4 availability
Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:44 am
I was thinking about adding support in ZEXALL for the earlier systems, by adding support for a TMS9918a mode. However, it seems it would be nicest to automatically detect this scenario. I know I could simply detect the RAM size but it seems it’d be nicer to detect the mode 4 capability before using it. What’s a good way to do that?

I was thinking of maybe using sprite collision, but I’m not sure how the legacy modes would interact with the mode 4 sprite table data. I don’t have a system to test on. Any suggestions?
Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:59 pm
Looks like the simplest difference is that the TMS9918-based systems don't have the V counter, and trying to read from it will instead just write garbage to the PSG.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:42 am
I was also thinking of doing that and just started reading up on the TMS video modes. Was having the same questions on if it could be auto detected or not.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:18 pm
Well, I have done the work but it turns out the detection fails on Meka at least - it has a functional line counter in SG-1000 mode.

Setting a "typical" mode 4 register setup on a TMS9918a is interpreted as mode 0. If we then set our mode 4 sprite table at address $3f00, with bit 0 of register 5 set, then TMS9918a mode will interpret it as a sprite table at $7f80. Thus we can put some sprites at x = 208 and an SMS VDP will render them (and we can place multiple sprites and see the overflow status); but a TMS9918a will see a sprite table terminator and draw no sprites.

This seems to work well in Meka and Emulicious, at least.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!