Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Paddle issue with some games

Reply to topic
Paddle issue with some games
Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:19 pm
I have a Sega Paddle Controller with a Mark III, I am using a Master Everdrive via an adapter using an older firmware that supports the Mark III.

The paddle controller works with Alex Kidd BMX, Out Run and Megumi Rescue.

However I get no response on Galactic Protector, Woody Pop and World Racing ?

I also get no response from Woody Pop via my SC-3000 Survivors Multi-Cart.

Any suggestions what might be driving this behavior ? Initially thought it may be an issue with the EverDrive but with Woody Pop not responding on the Survivors Multi-Cart as well negates that possibility slightly.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:56 pm
Sut wrote
I have a Sega Paddle Controller with a Mark III, I am using a Master Everdrive via an adapter using an older firmware that supports the Mark III.

The paddle controller works with Alex Kidd BMX, Out Run and Megumi Rescue.

However I get no response on Galactic Protector, Woody Pop and World Racing ?

I also get no response from Woody Pop via my SC-3000 Survivors Multi-Cart.

Any suggestions what might be driving this behavior ? Initially thought it may be an issue with the EverDrive but with Woody Pop not responding on the Survivors Multi-Cart as well negates that possibility slightly.

I would strongly assume it's the EverDrive/Flash Cart causing the incomptibility.

I will double check to be certain, but I believe all those games work flawlessly with a Mega Everdrive on any model 1 MD/Genesis consoles.

I doubt it would help, but you can always see if the Controller Port 2 will work with the Paddle controller.

Let me know if you still are having problems and I will give it a few tries on different set ups.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:35 am
I use a paddle with my Master System 1 and a Master Everdrive X7, and all of the aforementioned games work fine with it, although there's always some fiddling involved with unplugging the paddle to be able to select a game from the Everdrive menu in the first place.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:38 pm
Well tried on my Mega Drive 2 and Multi Mega, tried the Master EverDrive, Mega EverDrive and Mega SD.

Whereas the games now at least recognises the paddle controller, it’s unplayable as it just skits and jerks around.

I thought I read or saw on YouTube the paddle controller doesn’t work on non-Japanese systems ? Something to do with the wiring of the controller ?
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:59 am
Sut wrote
Well tried on my Mega Drive 2 and Multi Mega, tried the Master EverDrive, Mega EverDrive and Mega SD.

Whereas the games now at least recognises the paddle controller, it’s unplayable as it just skits and jerks around.

I thought I read or saw on YouTube the paddle controller doesn’t work on non-Japanese systems ? Something to do with the wiring of the controller ?

Well, I'm glad I double checked today.

Sure enough, on the newest Mega Everdrive (highest model) the Paddle Controller absolutely will not function properly with some games.
The main one I tried was Megumi Rescue, which exhibited the issue as you described above.

I don't recall this happening with the previous model Everdrive, but I might just not have checked.

This was on a Japanese Mega Drive with a Mega Everdrive.

I'm going to stick with my original thought and say that this is an issue with the flash cart itself, but who knows.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:59 am
Have a look at sms test suite and see if the paddle tests work properly using that. That will eliminate any hardware related issues.

https://www.smspower.org/forums/17116-SMSTestSuiteWorkInProgressHomebrew
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!